Chapter 7

The silence that had fallen over the group was oppressive at best.

*Kuuuuuuh Kerrr*

Minus the ever present breathing of the source of the foreboding feeling. Before, they had grown accustom enough to the sound in order to tune it out with ambient noise or their own conversations.

*Kuuuuuuh Kerrr*

But there was nothing now to block it out. They could not find the right words to break the ice, and everyone in and around their path stared at them without a sound.

*Kuuuuuuh Kerrr*

"Must that be so loud?" Padme questioned in the most passive-aggressive voice possible.

*...*

Padme and Shmi almost tripped at the abrupt end to Vader's breathing; Qui-Gon glanced at the Sith with a raised eyebrow while Anakin tried not to laugh, even if the image of-

-his arms and legs failing, blood flying, screaming even as his lungs were shredded to mince meat-

Sebulba's fate remained fresh in his mind.

"You were just doing that to disturb others?" The Jedi Master questioned with distaste and strained civility.

"Hardly. It's merely less effective for my health this way," Vader explained without missing a beat. "Qui-Gon, I believe you and the boy have business to attend to?" he prompted.

Qui-Gon almost let his surprise show. He had been worried about leaving Vader alone with Anakin after that...display, concerned the Sith Lord might try to plant seeds of temptation into the youngling's mind. Instead, here he was, suggesting the boy go with him instead? He had to know that almost any Jedi would try to use that as an example of why one should never touch the Dark Side.

'You are a slave no more, Skywalker.'

...Unless, of course, the seed had already been planted.

Qui-Gon registered and quelled his mental conflict in the same instant before nodding. "Yes, I suppose it's time to collect our winnings," he answered as an excuse.

Vader nodded as he steeled himself for this next part. "Madam Skywalker, I will need to retrieve my belongings from your home," he explained without turning towards her.

There was a question in there. It wasn't if she took issue with him coming into her home. The question was if she would rather stick with the Jedi Master and her son. He was sure she would, but solemnly hoped he was right.

"It's fine, I'll go with him," Padme assured at the slave-woman's hesitation.

The mother nodded thankfully before turning to Vader with a look of conflicted gratitude. "Darth, I...thank you, for saving my boy," she said with a teary smile.

Vader looked and it nearly destroyed him right then and there. He only survived by keeping his eyes secretly on his younger self. He still looked...uncertain how to feel. Vader didn't blame him.

Anakin the Jedi had been weak. Anakin the Slave was and still is just a boy. Perhaps, just perhaps, this version of him would be better than the man he used to be.

"You are welcome," Vader granted before he turned to leave. The group watched him go before heading in their own direction towards Watto's shop as Padme sped up her walk to catch up with the cyborg.

Padme suffered the silence for a few minutes before she gave a suffering sigh, "Turn it back on."

*Kuuuuuuh Kerrr*