Chapter 10

Outwardly, nothing had happened. For all to see, it was just two vastly different men shaking hands.

It was fortunate that Vader's mere existence drew so much attention onto himself that few took note of how robotically the senator released the hand and stepped back.

Within himself, Sidious was choking on his own rage. He could not think. He was numb to all things, even the Dark Side itself, as his mind made its own conclusion: Plagueis had betrayed him, used him...manipulated him. His teacher had done so on many occasions in the past, but this time Palpatine never saw it coming. How had he not foreseen this? How potent was this supposed Darth that the Dark Side would hide him even from all that Sheev could see in its shadows?

So white hot was his fury and so deeply were the reborn suspicions taking root down in his soul, all he could do was just stand there in an effort to not react and give away everything. To lash out at this rival, this mockery of all he believed to understand, and swallow whole these pathetic Jedi in the storm that was his being. To forfeit everything to take down all that he could with him. But cold, brutal determinism and innate wisdom reconquered his mind, slowly.

"I as well, Vader," Valorum agreed with a nod, eyeing the masked man intently. "If I may ask, are you a bounty hunter?" he asked, wondering what the Jedi were so worked up about. Yes, very intimidating, but many mercenaries were.

"If I was, I imagine the Federation would have already bought my services," Vader answered idly before turning to the group that he had traveled with. "I believe your ambassadors will have much to tell you and their council, Chancellor, bu there are important matters for the Queen to prepare for.." he reminded as he settled his mechanical thumbs into his belt.

"Yes, of course," the man acknowledged as he readdressed the queen. "I have called for a special session of the Senate to hear your position. I believe Senator Palpatine has more to discuss with you," Valorum offered, knowing he wasn't allowed to be too involved beyond this point.

The false and real queen both recognized the subtle reminder that he was supposed to be impartial in the actual politics of this, and nodded her thanks. "Thank you deeply for the concern, Chancellor," she gave before turning to her world's official representative in the Republic.

Sheev blinked, looking vaguely surprised as he glanced at Vader. To any other, they would merely pass it off as the Senator being uncertain about what to make of the situation after all the Jedi had come for this dark cyborg. The Chancellor didn't blame him, nor did the Jedi or his planet-kin.

But Vader knew that Palpatine was just trying to regain control of his emotions and his mask, something the time traveler took no small pleasure in observing. If not for Vader's very presence, the Jedi would never miss the undercurrent of rage and wrath swimming in the frail-looking man. Ironic, the cause of his rage was the only thing hiding him at this very instant. The fact was not lost on Palpatine, which only made his anger worse.

Yet he reigned it in and nodded to his queen, adopting the look of a man that wasn't sure what was going on around him but still had a job the to do. The feigned uncertainty was a great way to hide his little tells of wrath and ruin. "Yes, of course, right this way, My Lady," he motioned to his hovercar. "We have much to discuss before the session," he stated as the group started following them along, including the two humans he didn't recognize.

Nor did he truly care at the moment, his mind tearing itself apart as the King of the Beasts demanded to make itself known.

"Indeed you do, Senator," Vader agreed ominously as he moved to follow them, feeling the would-be-Emperor's power bristle beneath the surface at his words.