Chapter 12

Vader found himself looking out a window in the halls of Palpatine's suite, having wordlessly vacated the room when it was time for the Queen to don a different robe for the Senate meeting. Not to mention, it was his would-be-wife's body when she was fourteen, so...Time travel allowed for many uniquely awkward situations to be possible.

Though, he supposed that was why being around her was so easy. She wasn't his Padme. Not yet...not the one he strangled on Mustafar, he recalled with a balled fist. She was so different in so many little ways that it was easy to focus on those. His mother, however...she was just the same as when he left Tattoine for the first time, and as when she died. There was nothing to use as a barrier between himself and the memories of her death.

He felt the Dark Side itching at him, invigorated by the emotions lurking beneath the surface. There were many Jedi watching him. He could probably kill a few before the others even knew what happened. And if you drop a body down the depths of Coruscant, there would be no proof...

He bristled and the Dark Side retreated its desire. As tempting as it would be to snuff out a few Jedi that he could foresee being particular nuisances, he couldn't afford to do that. Not now, if he wanted to do this how he planned.

He was brought out of his musing as Anakin Skywalker joined him at the window. "Why aren't you with your mother, boy?" Vader asked bluntly, not even looking away from the view.

The young force-sensitive flinched a bit, but otherwise remained silent a moment longer. "I'm...going to the Jedi Temple, to see if I can become a Jedi," Anakin answered softly as he looked towards his feet. "Qui-Gon...said I should say goodbye to her. I won't be allowed to see her much if I'm in-inishit- allowed in," Anakin fumbled for a moment to his own embarrassment.

Vader grew cold at that, the temperature literally dropping. If Anakin noticed, he paid it no mind. "What is she planning to do?" Vader asked, softer than he meant to.

"I don't know," Anakin answered with a sigh. "Padme says the Queen might be able to help her find a place on Naboo, but...told me not to say anything in case things don't work out," Anakin answered uncertainly, knowing from a lack of innocence what was implied by that. "But Master Qui-Gon said he and Obi-Wan Kenobi have some friends that might give her a job," Anakin answered with a small smile.

Vader resisted the urge to snort as he imagined his mother working in that diner belonging to Obi-Wan's Besalisk friend. Dag? Dax? Dex, that was it. Arguable better than life on a Tatooine moisture farm.

"I...already said goodbye to Mom and the Queen said she'd tell Padme for me," Anakin started before taking a deep breath as he turned to stare up at the Dark Lord.

"And now you're here to bid me farewell," Vader deduced, deciding to be patient with his younger self.

"No," Anakin answered, actually surprising the Sith as he turned to give the boy his attention. "I..get the feeling this isn't goodbye. Not really. So I just wanted to say thank you, for everything," he explained with a bright smile, giving Vader a brief bow. When the cyborg didn't respond, Anakin took that as his cue to leave.

He made it halfway to the end of the hall before Vader called after him. "Skywalker."

Anakin stopped, turning to stare as Vader faced him fully. "Yes?" he responded uncertainly.

Vader stared at himself for an instant as he collected his thoughts. "You've dreamed of being a Jedi before, correct?" he questioned, getting a nod. "Whatever happens at the Temple? When you become a Jedi...become the Jedi you dreamed of being, not the one they want you to become," he urged firmly.

Anakin stared for a moment, eyes wide with disbelief before he broke into a smile-and were those tears? "I-I will! Thank you, Vader!" he called with determination and gratitude before running off, towards his destiny no doubt.