'I miss the glade'

Frypan and Newt carried Winston to a shady place under some ruins. He seems to be having a hard time, breathing heavily. You all try to rest a bit too, the sun's shining down way too brightly.

You're kneeling next to Winston watching his rapid breaths. You can't stop worrying, you take your job as a medjack very seriously, but there's not much you can do without any medication or other material.

You feel a little nauseous, but pay no attention towards it. All you want is to help Winston.

His eyes are closed, but you can see their outlines behind his eyelids moving around. You take his hand and caress it slowly. Thinking back to when you held it in the glade to treat his wound and how perfectly healthy he was at that time.

You look up at Newt and Frypan standing next to you. They seem uneasy. You exchange a quick look with them and then get up. Glancing back at Winston you see a very faint smile playing around his lips.

You look around. Thomas is standing at the top of a small sand hill. So you make your way to him.
His eyes are fixated on the mountain range beyond the great desert.

"Everything alright?" you ask him.

He turns around and smiles. "Yeah of course. We just need to keep walking". He then puts an arm around your waist pulling you closer. "How about you? Are you ok?" He puts the other hand on top of your belly.

"Yes I am" you reply with a smile. "Just a bit worried."

"Why?"

"I don't think they'll give up looking for us"

"It'll be alright as long as we keep moving"

"You know.. the baby" you look up at him.

"What about it?" his expression changes to slight worry.

"They have a great interest in it" you say sighing. "Since it's the next generation after the immunes"

"Oh really?" he replies, teeth gritted. "Well they won't be able to lay a finger on my family."

You chuckle, snuggling into his chest and then remember what the doctor gave you not long ago.

"Oh I have a surprise for you" you say grinning, while taking the surprise out of your pocket.

He looks at you and smiles. "What is it?"

"Here"

You show him the ultrasounds of the baby.

(here have this for visualization 🙂)

His eyes widen and he takes one of the two sets with shaky fingers. "Woah.. this is our baby" he whispers.
You gently caress his arm. "Yeah crazy to think about right? Oh and you can have this" you say pointing to the pictures and then showing yours.

He smiles widely and puts it in his back pocket. Turning to you he lifts you up and twirls you around, making you laugh.
His lips connect with yours and he puts you down slowly, without parting lips. Leading into a slow and passionate kiss.

After a while you part, your foreheads touching, catching your breath.

"I'll always protect you two, with all that I have" he whispers. You smile and peck his lips once more.

Then suddenly a loud noise.
A gunshot to be exact. Followed by the boys' voices.

You panic and quickly run down to the ruins, Thomas following right behind.

"What's wrong?" you ask looking around with a frown. Winston is on the floor trying to reach the gun in Frypan's hand.

"Winston. He just took the gun and bam" Frypan says quietly.

You kneel down and put your hand on Winston's back. He lays down again and pushes you away.
His hands glide to the hem of his shirt, pulling it up.
It's a disastrous view.

"It's growing.. inside.. of me" he whispers. "So please.. I don't want to end up.. like them"

You put your hand in front of your mouth, not believing what you're just seeing. Newt steps closer, taking the gun from Frypan's hand and kneels down next to Winston.

"Thanks Newt" he says, very quietly, taking the gun.

Each of you say your goodbyes to him.

You kneel down once again and smile with tears falling down your cheeks. "I wish I could have helped" you whisper. His hand moves towards your face slowly and tries to stop the tears. "I'm okay Y/n, please go be happy for me, it's all I want" His mouth still faintly trying to smile. "Take care of the baby"

You caress his hand softly and then stand up, leaving the ruins. You dry off your tears and walk to the others. Thomas is last to talk to Winston.

It was one gunshot you guys heard. The last thing coming from Winston. The noise was nearly unbearable, not for being loud but for its meaning. Another one of you has died. Seems like something that you have to get used to. This is no fairytale.

You've been walking for a while and the sun has already set.

"Let's stop here and rest for the night" Thomas says, as you arrive at an old wooden shipwreck.
You guys put your stuff down in a circle and then make a fire with the wood.

The nigh is as dark as can be. Only the fire playing all over your faces and skin.

"I thought we were all immune"

"Not all of us, apparently"

"Since Winston has been able to get the virus, we should all take that upon ourselves and take care"

"I never thought I'd say this" Frypan says, a single tear rolling down his cheek. "But I miss the glade"

And you all agree. Freedom has its costs.

A bit later, you guys lay down and try to sleep. You put your head on your jacket and snuggle back into Thomas. He has his arm around your waist and his hand on your belly protectively.

You look at the flames, as they're playing around and memories of the glade flush into your head. It hasn't even been long, but it feels like an eternity. The glade seems like paradise in times like these.

"Y/n" Thomas whispers.

"Huh?"

"You need to relax and stop thinking so much"

"How do you even know"

"Your hands are in super tight fists, I know you" he says chuckling.

Only then you feel it and release them. You turn around, facing him. You put your hand on his cheek, caressing is softly.

"Don't get too stressed, I'm sure that's not good for the baby"

"That's some bad advice in an environment like this."

"I will bring you two to a safe place, I promise"

You smile and kiss him. He kisses you back. "I love you my baby" his lips hovering above yours.
"I love you with all my heart" you reply quietly.

Something as delicate as love in a place of death.

Thanks for reading haha
Ily <3