Promise

(i just had an exam last saturday so I thought I'd take my time to make a surprise chapter for you guys now, enjoy! 🥳)

You were barely conscious during the entire flight. The inside of the aircraft had sparse dim light only that flickered every now and then. Your body felt heavy but Minho's hand squeezing yours a bit eased your panicking state. They have brought you to a weird place, small and prison-like, but more proper, filled with technology.
You can't even remember how you got into the building and then the cell you're currently in, shared with Minho after pleading the masked men for it. It was only after Ava Paige agreed to letting you stay with him during the day that they let you. She called you a „valuable special case" and was just as fond of Minho.

After pushing you two into the cell they lock the door and you sit down on the lower bunk bed. Your eyes are growing heavy but the exasperation is holding you awake as you sigh. ‚What are we going to do now?? Is this it?'
Minho leans onto the bed looking at you. „I'm sorry"

You frown and meet his eyes. They're full of guilt and just as desperate as yours. „What are you sorry for?" He grows quiet for a while staring blankly into the wall. You stand up and walk in front of him making him look at you again. „There's no need to be sorry, like at all, Minho"
His eyes widen a bit and he quickly places his hands on each of your arms moving you back into your sitting position. „You need to rest, Y/n"

You chuckle slightly and make him sit next to you. „You haven't answered my question yet"
He sighs and brushes his hand through his hair. „It's my fault you're here right now"
„No it's not" you shake your head. „I couldn't just leave you there, it was my choice"
„I, just like the others, have promised Thomas to always take care of you and the baby, how the hell am I going to do that here??" his voice is shaking slightly as it grows louder.
„Minho, it's okay, I will be alright, take care of yourself first.." you say quietly but you know there's no way he'll calm down so quickly.

-Newt's pov -

The night was rough. Smoke was coming from everywhere and the fire only really burned out in the morning. I could barely sleep even though I needed it so much. We've lost two of our little group. More like three. Aris and his friend are gone too. How helpless we are.

It's the next morning now. I squeeze my eyes together as the early sun hits my face and then sit up. Thomas' place next to me is empty and I'm starting to get a bad feeling. „Oh no no no where did he go"
Some others are already awake including Vince and some of his people as well as Frypan crouching down on the other side of Thomas' place. I point at it and he nods his head to the left where the lake is.

I get up and motion to Frypan that I'll go look after Tommy.

The lake looks beautiful as the sun shines on the water in tiny sparkles. I see his figure standing at the edge of the lake, motionless from afar but the closer I get the more action comes into view.

Thomas' hands are in tight fists, his body shaking slightly. Suddenly he grabs a pebble and shoots it straight into the water with high speed. The water splashes a bit and then turns back into its eerily calm state ignoring the man's anger. He keeps repeating this every now and then, followed by quiet swearing.

I sigh, taking up my courage and energy and walk towards him. He doesn't seem to notice so I gently place a hand on his shoulder from behind and his body tenses. „Oh, hey" he mumbles and turns towards me. ‚He must have been crying'

„I know this must be hard right now.."
I try a little conversation, though what would even make him feel better now.
He smiles a bit but his face turns cold again in a second. „Hell yeah it is" he tenses his jaw. „Why her.. out of everyone, why her" he turns back to facing the lake, his voice trembling. „And Minho, I promised them a life away from all this, a way to escape"