THE SIXTEENTH SHADE

"And a big congratulations to 
Mrs. Meera Mathur Walia, upon being certified as a Doctor of Philosophy in Astrophysics from Delhi University." A young woman who was standing at the podium announced. The entire auditorium was filled with loud applause.

Meera walked on the stage, wearing a hood and a cap. Yeah exactly like the ones you see on TV. She waved towards the audience and a bracelet on her wrist shone. It originally belonged to Krish's dead mother and now it  adorned Meera's wrist everyday. This bracelet witnessed both the events. First, when Krish proposed to Meera with a bubbly "I love you" and second, when Krish yelled "I hate you" which led to their separation. 

Today, Meera's biggest dream came true. Now, she could proudly call herself an Astrophysicist now. She earned this well deserved title. An old man and a few more old people who all looked well read, stood up and handed the certificate to her. 

"Dr. Meera Mathur Walia, we would love to hear a few words from you, especially the young people here. Please_" The woman at the podium said. Meera smiled and began with her speech.

"Good afternoon to one and all present here. I am extremely humbled to receive this honorary degree from such distinguished people, who I respect with all of my heart. Well, to be honest, I am feeling a little nervous and a bit emotional as well.

I remember when I was an eight year old child, my father took me to a planetarium and there my eyes fell in love with the stars, nebulae, galaxies and everything mysteries that are lightyears away. There I saw photos and biographies of astronomers and astrophysicists. That day, I decided that this is what I am going to be, this is what I am meant to be. This journey had its own ups and downs and I won't say that I struggled hard to attain this success after all, seeds must be sown and plants must be nurtured till they are ready to bear the fruits. 

But I am grateful that I learned a few things that life taught me, along with what Delhi University taught me in astrophysics of course.

People, things and feelings, they all come and go but one should never forget who they truly are. The only way of life is to keep moving on in this journey, but we always have a choice to let go or hold on to what isn't meant to accompany us. 

I have studied stars for so many years and I must say that what is written in them is always beyond what we can ever imagine. One cannot rewrite the stars but they can surely choose to shine bright or dim their light in any given situation. For the young people here who might be in love with a person or maybe with an idea or a dream, please always remember that what is meant for you can not go past you. If you love it or them truly, set them free and always keep walking. Keep walking on the path of your passion and no matter wherever you stop, I bet that place will be just as beautiful as the destination itself."

She stopped, her eyes held tears of joy and pride could be clearly seen on her face. When she stepped down, everyone stood up giving her a standing ovation. She walked back to her seat where her husband Krish and their 3 year old son Darsh were waiting for her. 

The three exited the auditorium. Krish drove the car but this time they were not heading to their home rather a very special place. They stopped by Meera's favourite spot, the park that saw Meera grow up.

The ice-cream vendor had grown old as well. His black hair was grey now. Krish bought a Chocolate ice-cream for Meera, strawberry for himself and Vanilla for their son. They sat on a bench, as they enjoyed every moment of this very lovely evening.

Krish- Weird how dots connect, right?

Meera- Huh?

Krish- Think about it, when you first came to the school, we didn't like each other but on one such similar evening we met in this park and I fell for you.

Meera- Right. The first time you ever confessed your love for me was in a park as well in Kolkata.

Krish- Also, this park is where you realised your love for me but we had to go on separate ways.

Meera- And today we are here again. Krish, you are the reason I know what love is. I love both you and Darsh more than I can ever express.

Krish- I know sweetheart and I love you too. 

Krish and Meera were busy in their sweet talk when suddenly Darsh, whose face was smeared with vanilla cream, pointed up at the clouds with his tiny fingers and exclaimed, "Momma, papa, look the sky is strawberry."

                       THE END