Catch The Train

(Warning: this story contains triggering content along the lines of mental health, drug use, and the general perspective of troubled youths, read with caution. Based on real events and real people.)

Tweek sat silently, anxiety churning and growing in the bottom of his stomach. He felt like it would take over his chest soon. He hated long silences, not to mention he was sitting in a lobby with his father  silently filled out papers he didn't bother to look at. He looked at his bandaged fingers and arms, soon tuning out the conversation between staff and his father. He had just turned 17, and his mother had passed, though he'd never bring it up, it was the entire reason he was here. His father found his behavior 'a threat to himself and others.' This frustrated the lanky blonde, it made him feel like his father's mistress in the house afterward gave him no right to be angry. He didn't expect any less from his father though, a man who instead of feeding into his child's addiction issues, but created it.

His father had been told he may leave after finishing the paperwork of course, and that's exactly what he did, Tweek's eyes remained glued to the floor as the man walked out of the door right next to him. He flinched at the heavy door to the left of the reception desk opening, a kind dark skinned man giving him a kind smile. "Hey, Tweek, so before we get you settled in, we have to go through some things first, I'm Mr. Black." The pale boy nodded, picking at his fingernails and struggling to focus with the sounds of doors opening and closing behind the wall the man had just come out of. The man was holding a clip board, and soon enough Tweek was beyond uncomfortable answering questions he figured were mandatory, he was glad it didn't last long enough to make him panic.

"Cool, Tweek, thank you for your patience, I know this is alot. You doing okay?"

He gave another silent nod and hugged himself subtly, glancing among the four walls of the lobby.

"Now, to make sure you leave with all your things, and to keep everyone safe, we have to inventory all your belongings before you take them in." Tweek had predicted this as an anxious person, avoiding the embarrassment of something like having his phone taken entirely.

One item at a time, the two went over his clothing, Mr. Black writing them down on a sheet and having him sign several papers. To his surprise, he was even wanded down with a metal detector before he could enter the facility. A group home wasn't Tweek's ideal space. He heard faint discussion, as he was let into the door, walking into a common room already.

"Oh, so you're the new intake? 'Sup!" A dark blonde boy dressed in an orange tee and black sweats and socks waved to him, smiling with a gap in the side of his top row. His face littered in freckles. Next to him a second bright blue eyed blonde looked up from the puzzle he was finishing, "Heya!"

Next I had noticed a raven haired boy dressed in a blue sweater and jeans had glanced up at him, seemingly annoyed by the fourth person. A girl with Red hair, who smiled and waved with both hands, while the boy she was next to gave a simple nod. It was quite the crowd. Tweek couldn't get too much of a word in because he was then lead to his room. "You can put your things in here, but because you answered yes to some of those questions, we have to put you on something called Hawk Watch. Basically we have to see you at all times, staff can't walk in on you in the bathroom, so you have absolute privacy there. Until you see a counselor, you have to sleep in the commons, sound okay?"

No, not at all. But Tweek bit his inner cheek and nodded nevertheless. He set his bag in the room and Mr. Black then gave him the freedom to go meet others. Which he really wasn't fond of, either. But he had no clue how long he'd be here.