Benn

It was dark out when you were finally allowed to walk home. Having the night shift almost every night was a curse, but you at least got paid for the inconvenient schedule. You were about to quit the job purely to stop having to work late hours. I guess you didn't like having to walk back to your apartment in the dark, it was dangerous for anyone to do.

The smell of smoke filled your senses as you walked by an alleyway. One thing you've always known to do when alone and vulnerable was to mind your own business. You knew how people could get at this hour, one glance at whoever was smoking and they might as well attack you. People get crazy when they're high. 

You tried your best to keep your head down as you continued along, you didn't do a very good job since they asked, "What are you doing out so late?" 

You stopped in your tracks, you were a bit nervous, this was the first time anyone had attempted to start a conversation with you on your midnight walk back home. You weren't entirely sure what you were supposed to do.

"U-Uh, I'm headed home," You answered, looking down the alley to see an incredibly tall man appear in the street light. He looked familiar. Maybe you'd seen him in the store? Or during the day? It was a small town after all. Either way, you were starting to feel stupid for telling him that, this guy could easily just follow you back to your house now. Him not saying anything and instead taking another drag made you feel even more paranoid. 

"Who are you?" You blurted, not wanting to leave out of fear of him potentially stalking behind you. You wanted to try to appear friendly, maybe he wouldn't kill you if you were nice enough.

His cold gray eyes locked with yours as he replied, "I'm Benn." I guess he could tell you recognized him since he said, "You don't have to worry, I'm not looking for any trouble right now." 

"You shouldn't be about these parts, you'll get executed if you stick around." You informed him, zipping up your coat as the wind had gotten stronger. You were feeling a little better now knowing he didn't want to start anything, but you didn't know how much of it he genuinely meant. 

"I'll be fine." 

"You pirates border on the line of stupidity and bravery," You said, "Well, anyway, I've got work in the morning, see ya around." You were about to turn around and go another way home when you felt his arm grab your wrist making you tense up once again.  

You looked back at him startled, "It's dangerous out here, let me walk you back." He told you, tugging you lightly in his direction.

"O-Oh, no thanks, I'm f-fine." You stuttered, yanking your wrist out of his grasp as you hurried away. Your breath quickened when you heard his footsteps close behind you. Your mind was racing with ideas on how to lose him as you quickened your pace.

"I'm being serious y'know, there's plenty of people out here who'd want to hurt you." You heard him call to you. 

You were starting to remember him a bit clearer now that the adrenaline within you made you more awake. He'd stand in one aisle of the store for hours before buying something simple like bottled water. You thought it was weird but never thought too much of it, you never even paid any attention to how he looked. You kinda hated your sleep-deprived self for not noticing a dangerous criminal in the facility. 

"I k-know, don't worry th-though I do th-this all the time." You were trying to convince yourself more than Benn. You were started to really take notice of the lack of streetlights in this particular part of town. 

Your breath hitched when you felt the sudden pressure of one of his arms wrap around your waist quickly. You hadn't expected him to be that close to you, you thought he was at least a couple of feet behind you.

"Come with me." He rasped into your ear as you were tightly pressed against his chest.

"N-No." You said as you struggled to escape. His grip on you was tight, you could hardly move. A hand covered your mouth as felt the end of his cigarette press against the skin of your neck as it started burning you. You tried screaming but the hand over your mouth prevented any noise from escaping. Kicking at your attacker, you desperately tried to flee. You brought your hands up to claw at his arm that was preventing you from going anywhere before quickly realizing he wasn't planning on letting up. When you stopped your struggling and calmed down a bit, he took the cigarette off of you. 

"A-Alright, I'll follow y-you. Please just- don't hurt me." You begged, as he slung an arm around your shoulder and started leading you towards the dock.

"Sure thing, dear," He told you, blowing smoke before continuing, "as long as you don't try to leave I'll do whatever you ask of me." 

Maybe going with Benn wouldn't be so bad, at least now you didn't have to do the night shift anymore. He was powerful too, you wouldn't have to worry about security, you'd always be safe around him. Becoming a pirate wasn't sounding so bad, you could learn a few medical skills and help everyone that way. You were kinda excited to be leaving your hometown and living on the seas.