28. The Darkest Hour

Author's note: 

Disclaimer: This chapter contains scenes of violence with some grim descriptions involving bloodshed. Also, the language might be offensive. 

_______

The battlefield was chaos. When the first wave of monsters slammed at the shield wall, the soldiers were pushed back, but they managed to keep the line. But many Blood Vultures jumped over the shields and avoided spear points, landing just behind the barrier. Skylar and the rest of the soldiers were ready for them.

There was nothing but slashing and parrying and blood splashing all around, and very soon, Skylar's sword and hand were sleek with it. The air reverberated with painful cries of men and shrieks of beasts. With his huge mass of muscles and claws, Zephyr was a frightful sight, and Skylar made sure to cover his sides and back while he was tearing the howling monster into shreds.

But even though they might stand a chance against the first wave of monsters, it became clear they wouldn't hold it for long when the armoured infantry reached the line. The shield wall stretched when soldiers tried to push back against relentless force, but it was no use.

"How much longer?" Skylar cried, hoping the Spirit would hear her.

"They still haven't got far enough," the voice replied in her head instantly.

Skylar cursed, slashing at another Blood Vulture. 

And then the shield wall broke. 

The men fell with painful cries while the silent figures in black plates were hacking through the soldiers as if they were a mere obstacle on their way.

"Fall back!" Skylar roared. "Retreat! Back to the forest!"

The soldiers hastily drew back. The shield men bravely covered the retreat of lighter armoured units, and Skylar forced herself to turn her eyes away from the slaughter behind her.

When the last of the decimated units reached the woods, they cut the ropes, making the trees fall, obstructing the way behind them. But it only slowed the assault a fraction. The armoured figures were like a dark mass of water – relentless, unstoppable, and crushing everything on their way without mercy.

"We have to do something now!" Skylar growled when they reached another fortified position prepared beforehand. 

They didn't have much of those left.

"Not yet," the Spirit replied, its voice cold and devoid of any emotion.

The archers were firing at will, but most of the arrows were useless against heavily armoured infantry. The ballistae got much better results. But they only had two of those, and reloading took far too much time. 

The enemy was almost at them again when the ear-splitting shrieks filled the air.

Skylar looked up, and the blood froze in her veins. Over the tree crowns, a mass of winged monsters was circling their position.

"Incoming from above! Shields up!" Skylar managed to shout a moment before the creatures dived down toward the soldiers. They were fast and powerful.

Skylar raised her shield in time, but it didn't help her much. One of the monsters bashed at her at full speed, throwing her off Zephyr. She hit the ground with her back and lost her sword but managed to keep the shield. The creature was already on her, the sharp claws trying to slash at her, the batlike wings beating rapidly, pushing her hard into the ground, and a long snout full of sharp teeth snapping inches from her face.