How Do You Get (& Get Rid Of) Hiccups?

First thing's first: "Hiccups occur when there is a sudden, involuntary contraction of the diaphragm, a muscle that lies just below the lungs and seperates the chest cavity from the abdomen," says internal medicine doctor Andrea Paul, M.D. "As the diaphragm contracts very quickly, it causes air to be sucked in very quickly, which snaps the vocal cords shut and makes the hiccup sound."

Although there are only theories about what causes hiccups, they're often seen in conjunction with symptoms like bloating and inhaling too quickly. Paul says potential culprits including eating or drinking too much, inhaling an irritant like smoke, and drinking alcohol. But some have said that even stress or anxiety can provoke them.

The cure for hiccups is pretty simple: increase the level of CO2 in your bloodstream, says Paul. "You can hold your breath for 10-20 seconds, drink a glass of water without taking a breath, breathe into a paper bag for 20-30 seconds, jog in place, or do jumping jacks for 30 seconds. Usually, one of those will do the trick."

Source: {http://www.m.today.com/health/everything-you-need-to-know-about-hiccups-how-to-get-rid-of-them-2080159915}