Rarest Medical Diseases

When most people think of strange medical conditions, what comes to mind is Tourette's or Albinism. But the world of ailments is seemingly infinite- just when you think you've heard it all, there comes more.

STONE MAN'S DISEASE: Medically known as Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva, Stone Man's Disease is one of the rarest, most incapacitating genetic conditions. True to it's common name, bone tissue begins to grow where muscles, tendons, and other connective tissues should be, effectively restricting movement.

PROGRESSIVE LIPODYSTROPHY: Sometimes called reverse Benjamin Button syndrome, lipodystrophy makes sufferers look old beyond their years.

GEOGRAPHIC TONGUE: Around 2-3% of the general population has map-like shapes that form on the tongue, hence the condition's name.

GASTROSCHISIS: This is a birth defect that prevents normal organ development. Typically, the abdomen will close around the organs as the fetus ages, but in these cases, the abdominal wall doesn't do this correctly. Because of this, some of the fetus' organs end up stuck outside the body.

CHIARI MALFORMATION: Those with this condition have a brain that's too big for their skull. Their brain tissue, usually the cerebellum, pushes into the spinal canal. Just 1% of the US population has this.

NAIL-PATELLA SYNDROME: Those with NPS often have no nails, or nails that grow abnormally, split in half, or simply grow away from the nail bed.

Source: {http://www.listverse.com/2013/08/17/10-strange-medical-conditions-you've-never-heard-of/}