Chapter 7

Isabelle packed some lunch for the old couple to take on their one-day trip to town. They apparently have some important matters to attend to, and left her to tend to the house and Brahms by herself. She didn't mind. She just prayed that they make it back home safely, and that they do not meet with trouble on their way. It has only been two days since she had been here but she's starting to like the Heelshires.

She waved them goodbye as they drove away to their destination. She was about to close the gates when a van with the local grocery's logo arrived. She was not surprised. Mrs. Heelshire already told her about the weekly grocery deliveries.

A young man who appears to be in his 30s exited the car. "Good day, maam." he politely greeted. "You must be the new nanny?"

"Yes, I am. I'm Isabelle." she introduced herself and offered her hand for a handshake.

"Malcolm." he replied as he shook his hand. He then went to gather the groceries while Isabelle opened the door for him. "So, how was it? You already met Brahms, I suppose?"

"Yes." she nods.

"That's it?" He asked as they stack the shelves with food together. He expected her to bombard him with loads of questions about the odd Heelshires.

Isabelle just stared at him. She did not know how to ask the questions she wanted to, or if she should ask them. She already gathered that the Heelshires lost their child somehow, and that they had barely recovered from it. Instead, she said "The Heelshires are good employers. They are very kind and generous."

Malcolm gave a hearty laugh. "That, they are." he stopped laughing and stared at her. "You're really not going to ask me anything, are you?"

"Maybe not now." she smiled as she closed the cupboard. 

"Alright then." he said as he made himself comfortable in the breakfast nook. "Tell me about yourself. you must be a pretty good fellow if they trust you enough to leave their home to you. I've never seen the Heelshires leave this place since 20 years ago."

The Heelshires must be really private people, she pondered. "Well, you already know my name. I'm 25 years old and I work as a nanny for little Brahms. What about you?"

"Well, you already know my name. I'm 29 years old and I work as a delivery man for the Heelshires." He teased.

The two laughed and talked some more, unaware of the man lurking between the walls.