Chapter 21

"Alright, I think that's everything," Isabelle stated, placing the last of the grocery items on the shelf.

"Yep," Malcolm answered, "So, uh, the Heelshires are out again? I didn't see their car on the driveway."

Isabelle thought of what to say to him. Malcolm doesn't know about the Heelshires' permanent disappearance. She wondered if she should tell him. She could really use some help right now. But on second thought, telling him the truth might lead to questions she isn't ready to answer. 

So instead, she said, "Yeah, they went on another trip."

Malcolm nodded to himself and asked, "When will they be back, then?"

"Probably tomorrow," she shrugs.

"So you're free until tomorrow, then?" he asked, a boyish grin on his face.

"Oh, no, not really," she laughed but soon stopped when she saw the questioning look on his face. "What I mean is that I still have other chores to do. You know, babysitting, cleaning, cleaning the traps, stuff like those..."

Again, Malcolm nodded to himself. He was a little put off by her rejection but quickly assured himself that she just possesses some really good work ethics. Silence enveloped them as he thought of something more to say. His job here is done, but he didn't really want to go yet.

Isabelle fidgeted as she felt the sudden awkwardness in the room. Suddenly, her eyes caught the sight of what appears to be Brahms' doll sitting on the floor just beyond the entryway to the kitchen.

What the heck? she thought.

"So, how's life with the Heelshires so far, hm?" Malcolm suddenly asked.

"What? Oh- Good. It's good. They're...good people." she stuttered.

"Okay...if you say so," he chuckled under his breath.

"What does that mean?"

"Nothing. They are good people. It's just that they're kinda weird, you know. I mean have you seen Brahms?" he said, quoting "Brahms" with his fingers.

"And what exactly is wrong with Brahms?." she snapped, forgetting for a moment that Malcolm has no idea about the real Brahms' existence.

Malcolm raised his hands as a sign of surrender. "None. Sorry, okay. Geez."

"I'm sorry too. I'm just a little stressed lately."

"Little Brahms giving you trouble?" he joked, but quickly apologized again upon seeing her glare.

Malcolm tried to make small talk after that but soon left when Isabelle said that she still has chores to finish, hinting that he should go already.

-----------------------------------------

Closing the door after seeing Malcolm out, Isabelle went to make herself and Brahms some lunch. As she entered the kitchen, she found him sitting on the breakfast nook.

His porcelain mask is back on his face but even so, a hint of a smile could be seen by the crease in his eyes behind the mask.

Isabelle was happy upon seeing him. She was a little worried that he might lock himself up again on his wall. His apparent good mood is a plus, too.

None of them said anything as Isabelle worked on their meal. Yes, they still have a lot to talk about. Yes, they still have issues to resolve. But the both of them chose to set it aside for now.

-----------------------------------------

Malcolm opened the windows to his van, trying to get rid of the pungent smell. For some reason, his van started smelling foul moments after he left the Heelshires'. It smells like something rotten.

Arriving at their grocery store, he quickly parked the vehicle and inspected where the foul odor was coming from. He finally figured it out after giving it a thorough inspection.

There, squished on the little nooks and cranny on his van, lays three dead rats.