twenty-seven

More time passed, and I was now a little over halfway through my pregnancy. Only four months left and we'd have our baby girl with us. We were getting more and more eager to meet her each day that passed, and that is why it upset me so much when Harry announced that he was gonna go on tour soon. He'd be leaving just a couple of months after her birth, leaving me alone with George, who was about to turn five years old soon, and a newborn baby. I was dreading the day he was leaving, but at the same time I was happy for him. He was living his dream, and he made me a promise to come home every chance he had. 

As Harry would have to spend a lot of time preparing for his tour, we decided to begin setting up the nursery quite early. Harry and George worked together on setting up the changing table, while I hung some pictures right over where the crib would go. I loved seeing the two of them doing stuff together. It'd been about a year since they met for the first time, and their bond was only growing stronger. 

I suddenly felt small kicks on my stomach and smiled softly to myself. Feeling my little girl's kicks was the best part of my day. "Hey, Georgie," I said to the little boy making him look up at me. "Do you want to feel her kicks?" 

"Yes!" he exclaimed. I sat down next to him and put his hand to the spot she was kicking at. He giggled as he felt her kicking him and began moving his hand around on my stomach. "Feel, Mummy! She's kicking here too!" 

"What do you mean?" I furrowed my eyebrows, and so did Harry as well. He scooted over to us and put both his hands on my stomach on both of the places George had felt. His eyes widened as he looked up at me. 

"When's the next ultrasound?" he asked. 

"In a week," I replied. "Why?" 

"I'm calling our doctor. I can't wait a week to find out if what I think is happening is actually happening," he said. "Rose, you seriously can't feel it? I swear it's two in there." 

"Wait, are you serious?" To me it only felt like one pair of legs kicking me, but when I put my hands on the same spots as the two boys, I felt it too. I felt it for a few seconds before it stopped. "Yeah, go call her now." 

I stayed in the nursery with George while Harry went out to the hallway to call our doctor. George kept a hand on my stomach and was giving it tons of kisses. I ran my hand through his messy hair, softly smiling to myself. He was going to be the best big brother. 

"They have an opening in thirty minutes. I told her about the situation," Harry said as he returned to the nursery. "I'll go and start the car while you get George ready, is that alright?" 

"Yeah, that sounds good," I said and got up from the floor. 

When George was all dressed for the cold weather, we headed outside and got in the car. George spent the whole car ride over there talking about what he wanted to do for his birthday next week. He said he wanted to go to Nando's, his favourite restaurant, and that he also wanted his sister to be born so he could play with her. It took some explaining, but he eventually got on board with the fact that she wouldn't be here until a few months after he'd turned five. 

We arrived at the doctor's and headed inside where we sat down in the waiting area. My name was soon called and all three of us walked with the doctor into the examination room. She asked us to explain more about what made us have the ultrasound today instead of next week, and while Harry explained it to her, she began getting the instruments ready for the ultrasound. 

Harry held my hand as she performed the ultrasound, and we all kept our eyes glued to the screen. Even George. She explained what she was seeing, and it wasn't until she moved the wand a bit further down that she let out a confused "huh..." 

"What? Is something wrong?" I asked, getting slightly worried. 

"No, everything's fine," she replied. "But it seems like little George here really helped you guys out. Congratulations, you're having twins. Baby B has just been a little shy and was hiding behind Baby A." 

"Oh my gosh, are you serious?" I said as a tear rolled down my cheek. I was grinning like crazy, and so was Harry. "Did you hear that, Georgie? You're having two baby siblings!" 

George smiled as he looked at my stomach. He then looked up at our doctor and asked her, "Can the other one be a boy, please?" 

"Well, seeing as you guys had a blood test to determine the gender, Baby B is a girl as well," she explained. "When we do those blood tests we look for the y chromosome, and seeing as we didn't find any, it's two girls. But, if you'd like I could try and see what gender Baby B is just to confirm?" 

"Yes, that'd be great," Harry said. 

She looked around for a couple more minutes before she was finally able to confirm to us that the babies were both girls. Both me and Harry were smiling like crazy, while George looked a little bummed out. 

"Are you not happy to have two sisters, George?" The doctor asked him. He shook his head no. 

"Well, think about it this way, sweetie. That means you and Daddy will be the only boys, so you guys' bond will be even more special," I said, which made him smile. "Did that make you feel better?" 

"Yeah," he said and grabbed his dad's hand. 

"And then guess what, buddy? You and I are gonna have an extra important job. You and I will together take care of Mummy and your baby sisters, and it'll be our job to make sure they're safe and that no one ever hurts them," 

--------

hey, guys! first time I've written in too long haha, but I've got a few new ideas for this story now:) so I hope you like this for now!