fourteen

"So how was California?" James asked as we began walking, hand in hand. 

"It was alright," I replied, thinking back on the trip. 

"Just alright?" 

"I don't wanna bother you with my problems," 

"Hey. You can talk to me, Rose," James insisted, tightening his grip on my hand. "Does it have something to do with Harry?" 

I nodded. "We were at Disneyland on George's birthday, and we were standing in line to get on a ride. I can't remember which one, but it doesn't matter anyway. And then Harry started asking me if he could bring George to meet his girlfriend Tessa, to which I replied that maybe we should talk about that later, seeing as it was George's birthday and everything. Then he got mad, and then I got mad, and then he left us. Haven't heard from him since," 

"Oh... I'm sorry to hear that," James replied. "How's George taking it?" 

"He hasn't mentioned it since we got back to London. He asked me after Harry left where he'd gone, but after I told him that he'd left, he seemed to have forgotten about it," I explained. James nodded. 

"Quite a shitty thing to do, isn't it? I mean, leave your own son on his birthday?" 

"Yeah, I know," I replied. "George deserves better. He really does," 

*******

The rest of our date went great. We were walking around London for a couple of hours just talking with each other, and then we went to the nearest Thai restaurant and ordered some takeout which we ate at a nearby park. He also walked me home afterwards. 

"I had a great time tonight," he said as we were standing outside my flat. 

"Me too," I replied, smiling at him.

He quickly glanced down at my lips before meeting my eyes again. He took a step closer, and used his right hand to tuck some hair behind my hair, and the other hand was holding mine. Then, he started leaning closer and closer until our lips met. 

It wasn't a long kiss, but it was soft and sweet, and it gave me a tingling feeling in my belly. When the kiss ended, we both smiled. 

"I'll see you around," James said. He followed up by kissing my cheek, and then slowly backing out of the driveway. When he was no longer in sight, I walked inside my flat and grinned to myself.

I stayed by the door for another minute, letting the amazing night sink in. Then, I kicked off my shoes and walked into the kitchen, where I poured myself a glass of water. 

As I drank my glass of water, I pulled my phone out of my back pocket, realizing I hadn't checked it in hours. 

But what I saw on the phone immediately worried me. I had five missed calls from Clara. My heart began pounding as I put down the glass and called Clara back. 

As I was waiting for her to answer, I began imagining the worst things that could've happened. What if something bad had happened to her? What if something bad had happened to George? Or Mum? Or Dad?

"Rose, thank goodness," sighed Clara right after answering the call. "I've tried calling you so many times! What happened?" 

"I'm sorry. I just forgot to check my phone at all tonight," I explained. "Are you alright? Is George alright?" 

"It's nothing serious and he's going to be fine, but George broke his wrist," she said, making my eyes widen. 

"What? What happened?" 

"I'll explain when you get here. We're at London Bridge Hospital. George really wants to see you," she replied. 

"Okay, I'll be there as fast as I can. James and I had a couple of drinks when we were out, so I'll have to walk, but I promise I'll be quick," I said. "See you later, bye." 

After hanging up, I practically ran to the front door, slipped on my shoes and then ran out the door. As I was walking, I kept wondering if I should call Harry and let him know what happened to George. After all, he is George's father, but he still left us in the dark after I didn't want to talk about his girlfriend at Disneyland. 

I was almost at the hospital when I decided to call Harry. I decided to not think about myself, but about George, and I was sure he would've loved to see his dad again. 

I called Harry, and he answered on the third ring. 

"Hello?" he replied, his voice groggy. It was obvious he'd been sleeping, and I felt bad about waking him, but then I remembered that our son was in the hospital. 

"I'm sorry to wake you, but George is in the hospital," I said, rounding a corner and finally laying eyes on the London Bridge Hospital. 

"What?! What happened to him? Is he alright?" 

"He broke his wrist, but I'm not sure exactly what happened. I'm not even at the hospital yet. My sister Clara is. She says he's going to be alright, but I just figured he might want to see his dad, too," I explained, almost out of breath from walking so quickly. 

"I'll be there soon," he replied. "Bye."

"Bye."

When the phone call ended, I was right in front of the entrance. I walked inside, walked up to the front desk and asked about George's room number. I was told which room he was in, and speed-walked to the room. 

When I walked into the room, I was met by the sight of George laying in a hospital bed (something I immediately wished to never see again), wearing a cast on his left hand/arm. 

"Mummy!" he exclaimed, the biggest smile on his face. 

"Hi, sweetheart," I replied, walking over to the bed. I sat down in the chair beside it, and looked over at Clara, who was sitting on the opposite side of the bed.

"Mummy, isn't it cool?" said George, holding out his hand in front of me. "The doctor let me pick the colour I wanted!" 

"Well, that's wonderful," I smiled at him. 

"Georgie, do you want to tell Mummy how you broke your wrist?" Clara asked him. 

"Can't you tell her, auntie?" 

"Okay, fine," replied Clara, chuckling a little. "Well, we were playing hide and seek, and it was George's turn to seek while I hid. And I'd told him beforehand to not run in the house, as I have two floors, meaning there is a staircase. But, he started running while seeking me, and he fell down the stairs. He luckily ended up with just a broken wrist, but as I told as we were driving here, it could've ended a lot worse." 

"Oh my god," I sighed. "George, do you realize how dangerous that was? You could've hit your head really bad, do you understand that?" 

"Yes, Mummy..." George whispered, looking down in his lap. "I'm sorry." 

"It's alright, Georgie. Don't be upset," I said, hugging him. "I'm not mad at you. I'm just happy you're okay." 

Then, the door opened and in walked Harry. However, he wasn't alone. Because behind him was none other than Tessa. 

----------------

hope you like this! :)

- m i a h.