Chapter 27

How many days have passed already? I don't know anymore. Nevertheless, I expected my days here to be hectic -- like Evan and his mother pestering and visiting me.

Was it because of my wretched body clock that I am always asleep every morning and I couldn't meet with them even if they wanted to since they can't just wake me up whenever?

It's not like I can help it since I was used to not being woken up.

Should I just be thankful that at least they're kind and considerate enough not to wake up a sleeping person?

I wonder what this feeling is. Even though I am still cooped up in a room, it didn't feel worse than when I was in prison. Is it because I feel freer now? Or is it because I can see the surroundings outside this room?

It was like I've been in quarantine for so long.

If I wasn't paranoid of having assassins suddenly popping up, I would have taken a walk outside even in the middle of the night.

*tak*

"You're here."

I occasionally wonder if the security here is really good since he just keeps on visiting me here. Are the guards that bad at their jobs?

"You didn't lock the window again."

I smiled at him. He looked like a godly being when he stood on the balcony with the moon on his back. If only he doesn't act like an elementary student who hasn't held a woman's hand yet.

"I knew you were coming. Assassins can't even go to the fourth floor anyway."

"Don't be too complacent." I flinched when I noticed another shadow behind him.

The shadow jumped down. With two people in front of me, I suddenly thought about how I'm welcoming guests in an unusual manner.

Doors really are getting useless in a novel world.

Well, it's not like they can come in through the front door.

"So it's you, Daryl." I smiled when I saw him. Seeing him come here with this godly kid, he probably succeeded in spreading information about me being held up here.

"You look better than before." I unconsciously touched my face.

Is it because of the change in the living environment? Because I slept too much? Well, I think I've been sleeping for more than 12 hours ever since I came to this room.

"Well... a lot happened." I scratched my cheek as I felt awkward with their stares.

"I'm sorry, I'm late."

Daryl patted my head. Ah. He's really the male lead. How can he say those words so sincerely, as if he was really worried for me.

We're not even close. We don't even know each other.

I'm a little guilty for saying this but Elijah, just give up. Daryl is better in many ways as a male lead.

"Ah. I'm sorry for touching your head. I remember my younger sister whenever I see you," he awkwardly said when he realized that I didn't move or say anything.

"Thank you, Daryl." I raised my head and smiled. I kind of understand why Fiona fell for you despite the large gap in your social status.

She even risked fighting with her family for you.

Daryl and Elijah flinched and stared at me. They stared at me as if there was a piece of vegetable between my teeth.

"Ah... you see.. he..." Why is Daryl suddenly being like this? I think he's trying to introduce Elijah to me but he's acting all nervous and stuff.

"We've met each other at the academy before. He was the one who told me about your situation."

It's not like I was trying to make them talk about their relationship. I'm not really in the mood to digest information so let's just think of it as them being schoolmates.

Speaking of the academy, Evan also attended it. Does he even attend the academy until now? I remember him visiting me almost everyday and staying at my room for a long time. Are they on break? Or is it my wretched and lost sense of time again?

"You're not listening again.".

"Sorry, what was it again?"

Elijah sighed deeply. "Your brother is coming soon. Believe it or not, he'll make a mess of the Hamilton family when he finds out that you were kidnapped. He can really do that for all I care but a lot of nobles are on their side, and when he picks a fight with them... everything will get messed up."

I could see him having a hard time explaining it. In short, peace would be gone. Factions would get heated up and the fights might evolve to a large setting, it could threaten the safety of nobles, the capital and even the imperial family. Civil war might even happen.

Goodness, Evan, this is all your fault~

It might look peaceful since there is loyalty to the imperial family but who knows which families-- especially influential ones--are affiliated and more loyal to this villainish family? The damage might be bigger than expected. We can't piss off each other.

"So..."

Daryl smiled at me gently. Fiona, you bitch, you're so lucky.

I want to be a heroine too.

"...you will get out of here soon."

I felt a thump in my chest.