04

-
-
-
-

"May iba akong gusto!" She finally said when I tried to explain that I genuinely love her, not just because I was used to her presence. "Kilala mo si Draco? Nililigawan na niya ako. I like him as well. And I was about to say yes but I got dragged here."

My heart slowly fell into pieces. Wala akong nagawang masabi nang iwanan na niya ako roon. Leaving me rejected and with the truth that I was assuming everything all along.

"For the first time, we had a huge fight that made us go on separate ways for a long time. But I can't handle that any longer. I went and talked to her. I want us to be like before. It pained me to see her together with that Draco guy but what can I do? She fell for him. He makes her happy so who am I to take that away from her?" I rubbed my chin to calm again. "I accepted them even though it hurts me. I still love her but I have to forget that because I don't want the tension again to grow between us. I don't want to be away from her so I accepted my defeat for her love.

"They were a couple for so so long." I explained more. "It was our second year in college when their relationship spiraled down and eventually they broke up. Draco was not a nice guy after all because he cheated. And I feel so stupid because I was not able to save Rose from that kind of guy," I sighed deeply. "I was there with her to help her cope from their breakup. It's so painful to see her in that state. She was so broken.She kept crying. She even started drinking and I was always there to guard her, to bring her home." I chuckled at the memory because she was so clumsy yet so cute in her drunk state. 

"I was there when she started blooming again. She chose to move on and I was there. I was there with her," my voice suddenly broke. I cleared my throat so it won't happen again.

"Just as I thought that everything is going well again, one night we were at a dinner with my family and her family. I thought it was just a casual gathering considering how close our families were. Until.. Until her Dad announced that she is arranged to marry me.. We're both surprised. We knew nothing about this. But then.." I inhaled a large amount of air. "But then, Rose thought that I was planning everything along because Draco suddenly showed up there and made her believe that it was my plan to break them up and finally this marriage. She loathed me. She spat to my face that she regretted being friends with me.."

"What?" Rose's eyes were just as wide as mine when Tito Albert announced something.

"Anak, ikakasal ka kay Daniel!" Tita Polly excitedly screeched. "Isn't that exciting? You'll get to marry your bestfriend!"

We were speechless. I darted my eyes to her when she suddenly stood and excused herself to the restroom but she went the opposite way which is the exit of the restaurant. She looked pale. Everyone got confused by our reaction so I excused myself as well to talk to her.

I prepared my handkerchief in case I'll catch her crying. I searched every near spot outside until I saw her weeping in someone's arm by the car park. The scene in front of me made me stop. It was Draco, he was mumbling things but she kept shaking her head.

"He won't do that.. Daniel is not like that!"

"Sinabi na sa 'yo 'di ba? Plano niya lahat 'to. Plano niyang sirain tayo tapos pinilit niya ang Papa mo na ipakasal ka sa kanya. Sinabihan na kita pero hindi ka naniniwala sa akin. I didn't cheat on you. Mahal kita, Rose! Hinding-hindi ko magagawa sa 'yo 'yon."

"What bullshit are you saying to her?" sumingit na ako. Rose immediately faced me. She didn't bother wiping her tears. I want to do it for her. But I'm afraid she'll get mad if I touch her.

"Totoo ba?" She coldly asked. My brows furrowed. What, did she believe his lies?

"Ano? Rose, kilala mo ako. Hindi ko magagawa ang sinasabi niya," I defended myself. "Mahal kita, oo, pero—"

"Draco!"

My feet took a few steps back to remain my balance after Draco threw a fist on me.

"See! This guy set me up! He loves you, Rose, and he wants to break us apart para masingit niya ang sarili niya! Gago ka!"

His roar attracted the attention of many kaya marami nang mata nakatutok sa amin. Suddenly my mother came but I stopped her from adding more heat in this commotion.

"Walang hiya ka, Daniel! Paano mo nagawa 'to? Bakit ba naging kaibigan kita? Hindi ka ganito dati, Dan!" Rose suddenly slapped me. My head remained on the side, still cannot discern what she just did. My lips parted. 

"I'll take my leave," I blankly said a moment after recovering. Mom's anger is getting evident and I don't want her to hurt Rose. Before walking away, her glare on me never faltered. I can see that she wants to skin me alive. Naniwala agad siya sa manlolokong 'to? "Rose, I'll have my way to personally talk to you. I hold the truth. I'm hoping that you'll listen to me." I said sincerely before I finally leave her sight.

"But she never did," I pushed my tongue on the inside of my cheek. I looked out the window. "She never did. "

****