Chapter I, 1/2: Athena and the Orphaned Boy

Ever since she returned, Athena had been watching an boy. She first saw him at an exhibition and has been watching it ever since. She even watched at the house where the boy lived, disguising herself. She saw that he did not live there with his parents, but with an evil man and his wife and son, who treated the boy like a slave.

For example:

1. When the boy asked for more food, the man refused grimly and angrily. He (the boy) had little food. He was starved.

2. The man's son told the boy about any trouble or accident that he did. That's why he got a lot of beatings.

But when Athena saw the boy alone, she saw him read, and play guitar and violin. And she also saw how well he could paint.

March 20, 1856

On this day, Athena called Ariel and Melody to the house, where the man's family resides, and she showed them what the boy's life was like.
It was then that the man shouted at the boy, and that was the reason:

Klaus Sørensen: [angry] DAMIEN! YOU BROKE THE VASE?!

Damien: [scared] No! I'm not, Sir! Please! I don't want any more beating! Please, Sir!

Klaus Sørensen: [angry] COME HERE, YOU IDIOT MISERABLE!

In fact, it was not the boy who broke the vase, but Klaus Sørensen's son, Tobias, who was glad to be beaten by his father.

Klaus Sørensen roughly grabbed the boy's hair and shot his belt. And Frida Sørensen tied the boy up so he wouldn't move.

Klaus Sørensen: [angry] THEN I WILL TEACH YOU TO BEHAVE!

Klaus Sørensen beat the boy roughly with the belt and Tobias just smiled.
Athena, Ariel and Melody were frightened at this.

Ariel: Oh poor child. We can't watch this idle!

Melody: We should prevent this!

Ariel: You're right, Melody! Wait! Mom, where are you going?

Athena went to the door and broke it.

Athena: [angry] THAT'S ENOUGH!!!

Klaus Sørensen stopped beating and was scared. Frida Sørensen set up the boy and cut the rope.

Klaus Sørensen: Your Majesty (Queen Athena), what an honor it is for you to visit us!

Athena: [angry] Don't play the innocent in front of me! I saw what you did to that boy!

Klaus Sørensen: Oh, to Damien? This is just a misunderstanding. It's true I didn't mean to hurt you,...DAMIEN?!

Ariel: Please, Damien! Don't lie!

Damien was silent for a second then he said:

Damien: [angry] NOT TRUE! For five years, you were like a slaveholder to me! You starved me! You abused me! Not just you, but your family! And what I hate most about you...is stealing wallets! Because you can't support your family with your own money,...YOU THIEF!

Hearing this, Athena looked at Klaus Sørensen angrily.

Athena: I'll take Damien with me! He's not safe here!

Mr. Sørensen: [angry] I forbid it!

Ariel: [angry] And I forbid you to forbid this! Who are you to stop a command of the Queen Mother of Atlantica?! Are you an emperor?!

Melody: [angry] A saint?! A deity?!

Klaus Sørensen: [angry] I AM HIS FATHER!

Damien: [angry] You have never been...[sigh] and you never will be my father!

Athena: Come now, Damien.

Damien headed for Athena, but Mr. Sørensen took his arm.

Klaus Sørensen: [angry] Just remember who you are, you wretch! You are a nobody! Did you understand?! You are a nobody and you will be! You will achieve nothing!

Athena: [angry] Leave him alone!

Before they left, Athena warned Klaus Sørensen.

Athena: Listen here, Sir! If I hear the news once again that you have abused a child or again stolen money,...[angry] YOU WILL GO TO JAIL WITH YOUR FAMILY! DID YOU UNDERSTAND?!

Mr. Sørensen: Yes,...Your Majesty (Queen Athena)!

Athena, Ariel and Melody took Damien home to the Tirulia Castle.
Athena bathed Damien, then cut off him long hair and gave him a clean and elegant dress.

Damien looked at Athena as kind and lovable woman, so he soon accepted that Athena was his new loving mother.

But there was a problem: Damien was not a half-merman, so Athena had to choose between staying in Atlantica or Tirulia

But there was a problem: Damien was not a half-merman, so Athena had to choose between staying in Atlantica or Tirulia. Athena had a hard time choosing the latter, which King Triton agreed to because he knew his wife love the human world, just like his daughter, Ariel. But despite this, Triton and Athena remained married.

On this night, Damien and Athena were talked and when Athena was walking somewhere in the room, Damien had an idea, that he told Athena:

Damien: Your Majesty (Queen Athena), please stay there!

Athena: All right. But why?

Damien: Because I want to paint you. And I see you would be a very perfect model.

Athena: Oh [laugh]. Thank you! Well then I will be motionless and you start painting me.

Damien: Okay.

Damien painted Athena for two hours and was finally done. He first showed the painting to Athena.

Athena: Wow, Damien! It became beautiful! Where can you paint so well?

Damien: On the one part, from my former stepmother, and on the other part, this is one of my abilities.

Athena: Interesting! But what do you mean, former stepmother?

Damien: [sigh] I don't know you very much yet, but I have tell you what happened to me for 15 years.