Chapter I, 2/2: Damien's Story

Athena summoned Ariel, Melody, Jim, Jeremiah, and Eric, and Damien began to tell his story.

Damien:
"I wasn't always the slave of the Sørensen family. There was a time when I could feel the love of a mother.

I never knew my real parents, and I don't even know they were still alive at all.

When I was still two months old baby, I was somehow at the sea in my basket. The water swept me off at a dock where a young woman, Sarah Anderson found me and decided to raise me.

Interestingly, my name was written on the right side of my basket. I think my real parents gave me the name Damien, and so Sarah gave me the name Damien too.

I loved her as if she were my real mother, whom I unfortunately did not know.

She was not only my stepmother but also was my private teacher. She taught me to write, read, paint, sing, and play guitar and violin.

She gave me a histoty book and kept reading, there are such good historical events in it and that's why I know history very well. And even that's why I love history.

And we also go to church every Sunday, and thanks to that, I became a Christian, but apart from that, I also belive in other religions, but just a little bit.

When I was 9 years old, Sarah told the truth that she wasn't my real mother and that she adopted me. And even she told me how she found me, and for that reason I thanked her for saving my life from the sea and the hunger. And for that reason I loved her much more that day than before.

Everything was perfect...until...that terrible incident happened.

It happened in December, 1850. I was 10 years old at the time. Sarah asked me to bring a few eggs from the store as an ingredient for my birthday cake.

When I brought the eggs, a thief had just robbed the store, then the guards arrived and the thief escaped. I naively let him escape, so one of the guards asked:

"Why did you let him escape, boy? You would have caught him."

When I got home and entered the house, it was empty. I expected to hear Sarah's voice. I laid the eggs and started looking for Sarah and found her.

But...when I saw her...I thought I'd scream myself right there. Sarah lay dead on the ground and she was very bloody. I went over to Sarah, loaded her up, and begged her to wake up. When I heard her heart beat, it did not beat. That's when I realized that she was really dead. Depression immediately overwhelmed me and I started to cry.

I heard something and realized someone was in the house. I turned around and there was the thief I let him escape. And he had a bloody knife in his hand. His voice and what he said was so scary that it would haunt me in my nightmares forver.
That's what he said:

"Well, well. See you again, boy. Looks like I killed your mother. No problem, [laugh] now you're coming. And I saw birthday drawing too, I think it's your birthday. So...HAPPY DEATH DAY!!!"

At the time he wanted to stab me with his knife, but I avoided it, and then I was so angry that I attacked him, so there was a short fight between us. Then a guard came in and helped me defeat the thief, then told the other guards to arrest the thief. Maybe the guards were there because the neighbors said we were making a big noise. After the thief was arrested I got to know out his name, which I memorized: Marcus Kasady.

The court sentenced him to 60 years in prison for murder. I didn't see him after that.

Since then, the thought hurts that if I had caught Marcus, Sarah would still alive. Sarah died because of me! She died because of my fault!

And I ended up in Mr. Klaus Sørensen's house where I was hurt and humiliated for 5 years and loneliness was my only friend.

Many nights I dreamed that my real parents would visit me and take me home with theme, but unfortunately it never happened.

I was in this state...until you, Your Majesty (Queen Athena)...saved me and housed me in your home."

Everyone looked at Damien sadly because they were very sorry for what fate he had. Athena stood up, went to Damien, and hugged him. And that's what she said:

Athena: Don't worry, Damien. You're already safe. Welcome to our family!

Damien: Thank you...Mother!

Damien began to tear. Then Ariel, Melody and the others joined in the embrace.