Chapter Six - Hope from Hopelessness

Everyone, including me, sat in silence waiting for Shigaraki to speak. I had my hands folded in my lap calmly and made eye contact with whoever spoke. Shigaraki was the first.

"You did very well on your mission, Midoriya," He finally said. "From your information, we now know the heroes are in a vulnerable position. Your--" (he slightly grimaced) "Friends have deep grief in their hearts from your disappearance and their other students' injuries. Stain did well to set things up perfectly,"

I could see Dabi frown in the corner of my eye. He continued; turning his head in my direction.

"You will be going on another mission for us. You know your way around UA, correct?"

"I guess," I inquired.

"Well, there is a small group of houses not far from the building. Go to the area and find one person with a quirk you think is worth noting."

"Wait-- so this is based on my judgement?" I asked, scratching the back of my head.

"Yes," Shigaraki replied blandly.

'Why is this based off of what I thought? Did they trust me that much?'

"Once you find them, tell them to join the League. If they decline, I assume you'll know the consequence." Surprisingly, my stomach didn't drop at his request. I sorted my next words carefully.

"And if they overpower me...?"

Somehow, I could see Shigaraki's sick smile hiding under his hand.

"Oh... they won't."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was time to head out. As I sprinted soundlessly out of the forest, I headed in the direction of UA. The stars were twinkling brightly and the moon shone from above. Nighttime was the best period to fulfill this mission, and I couldn't let the League down. They needed to trust me if I would become villains, like them.

When UA was in view, I crept into its giant shadow. I continued running across the clearing until a small cluster of houses came into view. Everything was going according to plan.

Or, that's what I thought. I found myself in an unfamiliar part of the city; I must've gone down the wrong path. Luckily for me, I could still see UA towering over the houses--so I'd never get lost.

After observing where I was, I walked past many small houses. Each of them were run-down and cramped tightly together. Before I could observe more, I heard a loud noise. I rubbed my temples; ensuring I wasn't hearing things. It made no difference whatsoever. In fact, the noise only got louder. It sounded a bit like Kacchan's explosions, mixed in with laughter and screams.

'I can't get sidetracked...' I thought to myself. 'I have to find somebody--'

The noises interrupted my thoughts, and my curiosity got the best of me. Without thinking, I slipped into the shadows of one of the alleyways. They were painfully narrow and brushed against my shoulders. Nevertheless, I hung my head low and continued on. My feet came to a halt when the noise became considerably close. Voices emerged from just around the corner; loud and clear. The first one was deep and indignant.

"So like we said, little girl, move it!"

"Hey, this isn't worth fighting over! All I did was pass by." A familiar, bubbly voice said. I could hear feet shuffling as another low voice spoke.

"Well then, 'pass by' somewhere else! You're in our way!"

The familiar voice gave out a small sigh before speaking.

"Fine, fine; I'll go somewhere else."