Chapter Nine - First Love a Second Time

The forest breeze gently rocked the trees around me. I laid on my back atop the soft, jade-colored grass thinking to myself. The stars were twinkling brightly in my face as I stared at the night sky. What was I going to do?

I needed to stay with the League of Villains... they were my only shot at any kind of future. If I tried abandoning them, they could hurt Nejire or Tamaki. They somehow knew precisely what I did and when I did it yesterday night. And going back to UA? Never. I just couldn't. If I ever showed my face there again, who knows what the consequences would be-- and how hurt everyone would feel. My friends would (and must be) so disappointed in me. I couldn't help but sigh loudly, but stopped midway. The League could be watching me right now, and I wouldn't even know it.

I looked at the only thing they could possibly use to spy on me-- my phone. Nothing was hooked up properly (the League had terrible WiFi), and I had no clue how they'd track me through that. Nevertheless, I couldn't take a risk like that again. I opened my phone, skimming through all the messages I had. The last thing that I could see my friends with. All of those memories and messages would vanish in a few minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The last message I read was Todoroki's; the same one from earlier. The words echoed in my head: " Text me back when you can." I stared down at the screen in a sort of anger.

'I'm sorry, Todoroki... but I won't be texting anyone anymore.' I thought.

I was gonna do it; I had to.

I held the phone in my right hand, clutching it tightly. I fired up my One-for-All. With all my might in my arms, I threw the phone as far as I could. I didn't even care if I broke my arm. I hurled the phone with my entire strength; releasing the pain in my heart in the form of a brief yell. I could hear the phone make a "whoosh" sound as it was sent flying for what I hoped was miles.

Seemingly automatic; I fell onto my knees. My back arched over and my head hung low. It was a matter of seconds before hot tears formed in the corner of my eyes. I squeezed my eyes shut as I wept, but the tears found their way out. They traveled down my face slowly and eventually to my chin. With every breath they only fell faster and faster. My mouth made small whimpers as I continued crying.

'What should I do..." I wailed between breaths. "What am I supposed to do? Is getting my revenge worth it anymore? And will I ever get the League to trust me?''

I tried to limit my movements as I sobbed harder, but my shoulders visibly raised and fell with every gasp. My eyes burned oppressively.

"Are you okay?" A voice asked softly.

My crying stopped completely on the spot. The tears disappeared from my eyes, and my breathing slowed. I did not bother wiping my eyes. For a second, I was too terrified to look up. Their shadow hovered over me, but it wasn't any of the villains'. I continued to stare at the ground for a minute. The person's footsteps drew closer to me. My body felt paralyzed.

A hand touched my shoulder warmly.

"Are you okay?" The voice repeated.

I assembled the courage to look up. My heart stopped as I looked into her sweet and luminous eyes. The tears were uncontrollable now.

"I'm so sorry--" I gasped, sniffling. "I'm so sorry--"

I wiped my eyes with my black leather gloves in haste. A hint of confusion crossed her eyes, but she smiled.

"It's alright," She said. "I don't mind. I can give you some privacy if you want."

I took her offer into consideration but declined. I mustered a weak smile and patted the ground next to me, signaling her to sit. She sat next to me silently, looking up at the sky.

"The stars sure are beautiful tonight," she grinned. Our eyes interlocked.

"Yeah," I replied. My voice came out hoarse and shaky from crying too hard. I clamped my hands lightly around my neck, trying to clear my throat. A few seconds passed until she spoke again.

"Those are some pretty bad burns," She said quietly. Without moving my head, I examined my upper body-- he burned more than just my shoulders. My collarbone, neck, and face stung when I put a hand to them.

"So..." She continued, fidgeting with her hands, "what are you doing out here in the forest? All alone?" I was hesitant to answer, but came up with something truthful that wouldn't give away any info.

"I just needed some time to think," I admitted. "things haven't been going well, lately." Still truthful.

She nodded sympathetically.

"I know just how you feel. I wouldn't exactly call this past month a good time, either," A small sigh came from her mouth.

A boulder sank in my stomach when those words hit.

"Oh... the UA accident, huh?" I asked. A small "Mm-hm" came from her mouth. Her eyes were set on mine.

"So... you're Yami, right?" She asked.

"Y-yeah," I said, "that's right."

A frog leapt in my throat and my eyes burned.

"And you're Ochaco Uraraka."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She almost seemed shy when she smiled up at the sky. A pinch of red crossed her cheeks.

"That's me alright." She replied. A hint of enthusiasm rang in her voice. She turned to me; her brown hair fanning in the wind.

"I lost someone very important to me when Stain attacked. He was a student in my class."

"He?" Was she actually talking about me?'

She continued. "He was notably shy, but so sweet. Always taking notes; always trying to make everyone's day somehow." She laughed. "Even Bakugou."

"... Where were you when everything happened?" I asked.

"I was with Deku and Kacchan at the back of the school," She answered quietly. "we were making progress, too. Stain hurt several students in our class, especially Sero, Todoroki and Jiro. But we were the only ones that could still stand. It sounds crazy, especially for someone like Shouto to be that weak, but it's true."

She took in another small breath before speaking.

"We fought for a long time, but there was a barrier of debris keeping anyone from going in or out. It was difficult. Things started going badly when I went in for Stain, and he threw me into some rubble. I couldn't move for a while."

She raised her pant leg to her upper knee, revealing a large purple bruise.

"When Deku came to check on me, Bakugou kept Stain occupied. But it wasn't long until I was able to fight again. When I did, I guess I didn't see him coming."

I tried to add a hint of surprise in my tone, but it came out regretful.

"And after that...?"

Her voice broke a little.

"All I remembered was a bright light, and everything turned black. The next thing I knew, I was in the hospital. Apparently, Aizawa came to get me while Deku ran off..."

She stopped there, shielding her pain with a smile.

"I'm sure your friend didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings," I reassured. "Maybe he was... feeling a little overwhelmed."

"Yeah," She breathed. She was quick to change the subject.

"It sounds like we both need a break, Yami! ... I hear there's fireworks at the Amusement Park tonight. It's for an event celebrating the heroes efforts."

Well, that was reassuring.

"Why don't we go there for a while?" She finished. "That is, if you want?""

I'd thrown my phone far where the villains wouldn't be able to track me, and they weren't in sight. This would likely be the last time I'd see her, anyways. My heart fluttered a little when I answered.

"Let's do it," I said.