Part 3

*at the restaurant *

We stepped into the restaurant, looking around for the boys. Noah spotted us first and waved, calling out Mira's name. I could practically see Mira glowing with happiness.

"Hi, thank you for coming," Noah greeted us as we took our seats.

Mira responded sweetly, "Thanks for inviting."

Noah introduced his cousin to us, saying, "Meet him, he's my Indian cousin Dhruv."

Ugh, introductions. I wasn't a fan, but I had to play along. Dhruv extended his hand for a handshake, looking friendly. I shook his hand, mustering a smile, "Dhruv."

Surprisingly, Dhruv smiled back, "Tara."

Hold up, did I just smile? That too, at a guy I barely knew? What on earth was happening? Noah and Mira's raised eyebrows confirmed that they were just as shocked as I was. Thankfully, our waiter showed up, giving me a chance to regain my composure.

As the waiter left, Noah turned to me, "Hey, Tara! You're Indian, right?"

I answered, my tone a bit chilly, "Half Indian."

Dhruv jumped in, "Yeah, half or full, it doesn't really matter. You still carry the essence of the country."

Mira teased Noah, "Noah, remember, you're the only Korean around here."

They playfully bantered about how Noah is the only korean guy amongst us, while my thoughts drifted.

"Carry the essence of the country?" I wondered. I had never felt that way. My family's disapproval of my parents' relationship had driven a wedge between us and India. Even though my parents never taught me to hate our family in India, the hurt was still there.

Caught up in my thoughts, my eyes welled up, but I managed to blink the tears away. My phone rang, saving me from an emotional moment. I excused myself and stepped outside for some air.

Looking at my phone, I saw it was my dad calling. His voice, absent for a month, came through, "Hello, Tara, are you there?"

I swallowed hard, choking back a sob, "Yes, Dad."

As I stood there, I felt a mix of emotions swirling within me. Family ties and past wounds seemed to tug at my heart, reminding me of a pain that still hadn't fully healed.