Part 5

[Dhruv's POV]

Noah, my cousin and best friend, convinced me to accompany him to dinner tonight, as he had invited his crush and her friend to join us. I agreed, mostly out of loyalty to Noah and the prospect of making new friends.

"Bro, are you ready?" Noah's voice pulled me out of my thoughts as he entered my room.

"Not yet, give me just 5 minutes," I replied, rushing into the washroom while Noah chuckled outside.

"Typical Dhruv," he muttered, probably rolling his eyes.

I hurriedly changed into a white T-shirt and black jeans, throwing on a checked shirt. We grabbed our wallets and headed to the restaurant, our last-minute approach in full swing. Luckily, we secured a corner table for four, with no sign of the girls yet.

Noah talked about how nervous he was when he spotted Mira, the girl he'd been eagerly waiting for. He waved at them, and they joined us at the table.

Mira greeted us and thanked Noah for the invitation. The other girl, Tara, appeared aloof and uninterested, but she still shook hands with me and managed a smile. I was pleasantly surprised; she seemed different from her school persona.

"Noah, do you realize you're the only Korean here?" Mira quipped.

"No, I've Tara on my side—she's also Korean," Noah defended himself.

"No, she's half-Indian," Mira corrected.

"But she's half-Korean too, right?" Noah countered.

"But she's half-Indian also, right?" Mira mimicked him playfully.

I couldn't help but smile at their banter. While they engaged in a lighthearted argument about Tara's heritage, she remained in her own world, seemingly lost in thought.

"Hey Tara, you're also Indian, right?" Noah directed his question at her, finally pulling her out of her reverie.

"Yeah, half-Indian," she replied in her usual detached manner.

"Half or full, it doesn't matter. At the end of the day, you carry the essence of that country," I chimed in, drawing her attention momentarily.

Her gaze lingered on me, as if she wanted to ask something, before she looked away, lost in her thoughts once again.

As the three of us chatted, Tara disappeared to attend a phone call. Time passed, and she still hadn't returned after 15 minutes. I decided to check on her, thinking that Noah and Mira could use some privacy.

Outside the restaurant, my heart sank when I saw Tara lying unconscious on the ground. Shocked, I rushed to her side, noticing tear stains on her cheeks—a sign that she had cried before losing consciousness. I called an ambulance and informed Noah and Mira about the situation. While Mira accompanied Tara in the ambulance, Noah and I followed behind in our car.

At the hospital, we struggled to find space in the crowded emergency ward. Thankfully, we managed to secure a bed, but the doctor was nowhere in sight. Noah and I approached the head nurse for assistance, leaving Mira by Tara's side.

"The doctor will be here soon. You can wait over there," the head nurse directed us, her tone reassuring.

(Dhruv's POV to be continued in the part next to the next part)