A New Dawn, Another Day

A/N: This was just edited a bit 12/11/20, leave some love or some thoughts.

"Wake up Keiko," My moms' soft voice carried upstairs to my room, "it's time for breakfast." It was seven in the morning and the day was waiting for me yet again. To say I was not fond of the mornings would be an understatement of monstrous proportions. Every fiber of my being wanted to just roll over and sleep in, if not for just five more minutes.

Some people, they rise and shine, "Let me get dressed, give me five." I grumbled, as I was not one of those people. My body was not meant to get up before noon, I have always been convinced of this. My parents however, they were not quite as married to the idea, neither was school for that matter.

I slowly got out of my bed, one leg at a time until I was sitting on the edge, elbows resting on my knees, head planted in the palms of my hands. The jerking movements startled my cat Felix, causing him to leap off the bed with a loud, meow. After a few seconds, he calmed down and began circling my leg, rubbing against my pajamas with affection. His deep purring tickled my leg with its vibrations. Sometimes I wished I were more like him, he seemed more equipped to handle the mornings than I was.

My parents gave me Felix four years ago as a birthday present, it was the best present I have ever received. I still remember opening the box, knowing what was inside beforehand, but still being surprised, as I looked down at the most gorgeous orange cat I have ever seen. Ever since then, he follows me around the house, and at times, outside, though he does not like being out of the comforts of the house. One could say he is rather spoiled, and I would not be able to argue against it.

Begrudgingly, I found a clean T-shirt as well as some jeans and made my way downstairs. Our house was not exceptionally large, but it was more than enough for the three of us. My parents taste in style was a little eclectic, it really did just depend on what area of the house you were looking at. The living room, for example, was a combination of my dads' love of cars, and my moms' passion for flowers. The two together is peculiar at best, but it was charming in its efforts.

My mother stayed at home, taking care of my dad and I, as well as the house itself. If she was not cooking or cleaning, it was a safe bet that she was tending to her small garden outside, it was her pride and joy. Though she did not have a traditional 'job', I'd wager she was the busiest one in the house, she never stopped moving it seemed.

As soon as I took my first step down the stairs, I could smell the breakfast. Wafts of bacon made my mouth begin to water. When I arrived in the kitchen, I saw a delicious array of foods waiting for me. There was eggs, bacon, and pancakes, my favorite. Nothing wakes me up more than food, any longing to return to bed had passed the moment my nose woke up.

"Good morning honey." My mom greeted me as she set down a platter of biscuits and pulled off her oven mitts. She was remarkably untouched by the mess she had created cooking. Of all the traits she had given me, such as her dark brown hair, fair skin, and hazel eyes, she did not pass on the tidiness. I was noticeably unorganized and messy with any and everything I did. Shockingly, it never really bothered her one bit. I do try to clean up after myself, she just seems to get to it before me, usually while I am at school.

I quickly pulled out a chair, "Good morning mom. What do you have planned for today?" I asked her as I took a seat at our dining table. It was not exceptionally large, but we did not have a large family, so it worked.

"Oh, you know, not much outside the same old thing. I have to plant the Azaleas I bought at the nursery yesterday." She replied, as she began washing the dishes she used making breakfast. I assumed she ate after I left for school, as she never sat down to eat with me on school days.