A Scary Reunion, A Way Out

The lift slowed to a crawl, and we could see the opening just above us. There were flashes of red and blue lights, as well as what sounded like electricity. As soon as our heads rose above the floor above, we could see it. The Out-Worlder was mid combat with the wizard Dirth.

Streams of red electricity shot from a short sword held by the wizard. The Out-Worder was deflecting the magic with a shield, reflecting it all around the room, destroying anything in its path. Book shelves, tables, mirrors, pictures, armoires, and various other pieces of furniture, they all were annihilated in the wake of the magic.

As soon as we arrived to a stop, Dirth stopped his barrage of magic and looked straight at us, "You finally made it? I will say though, I had expected you to arrive later than you have. You haven't given me enough time to finish up here." He smirked, just before he blinked out of sight.

"What is going on Pharian?" Celia shouted.

The Out-Worlder looked to be in a panic, "He's not gone, he's cloaked by his magic!" He yelled back, his eyes darting all around the room, looking for any sign of the intruder.

"This is ridiculous!" Celia screamed as she raised her orb above her head. Bolts of lightning crashed all around the room, deftly missing the Out-Worlder.

As the bolts hit there various marks, soon they found their intended target. Dirth was grazed in the leg, disarming his magic and revealing him up against a far wall. Her magic had taken him aback, his face filled with rage.

He quickly recovered composure, "Don't you want to be free from here Celia? Let me grant you your freedom!" He yelled as he revealed what looked to be a handful of rocks from his trouser pockets.

"How did you!?" She gasped as reached back to grab my arm and pull me out of the lift.

As soon as he saw us making our escape from the lift, he through the rocks at us as hard as he could. The rocks grew in size as soon as they left his fingertips. With no time run, Celia pulled down on my arm, knocking me off balance and sending me sprawling on the floor. Felix was between the two of us, however, she was not holding onto him like she was me. I had no time to react, no time to make a grab for him.

The rocks quickly turned into boulders the size of car tires. As we slammed onto the ground, I could feel the wind of the boulders just above us, then the loud crash as they bombarded the lift entrance. The walls caved in behind us, ruble and dust filled the air.

As soon as I was able to catch my breath, I tried finding Felix, but I couldn't see through the dust, "Felix!" I screamed as lout as I could.

"I'm here," I could hear him gasp somewhere behind me, though he sounded out of breath, weak.

I could see Celia push herself up from the ruble, "How did come by those rocks Dirth? Last time I checked, I had them safely stowed away."

The sound of Dirth laughing his, low, breathy laugh filled the air. At first it was hard to tell he was laughing, but it soon grew louder, until he was nearly in hysterics.

"Why, you left." He wheezed between fits of laughter, "You took up arms with this band of losers, and you left everything behind. It just so happens that I was there to take what you no longer wanted. For that, I thank you so very much."

There was a small pause, the sound of the debris settling was so loud within the silence. "You were there the whole time."

"I was." He seemed all too happy to admit it.

"You set everything up." The Out-Worlder whispered out loud, clearly disappointed in himself.

"I did." Another self-satisfying admission.