Little Box Of Memories

I set my novel down and sigh. The heroine had just told the hero that she liked him, then they kissed and rode off into the sunset on a white horse after they saved the world from a maniac who had a generic plan to take over the world. They need to come up with better plots for these things. I set it down and turn off the light, rolling over. I fall asleep for just after just a few seconds.

I wake up and rub my eyes, hop out of bed, brush my long, dark hair and get dressed in some high-waisted jeans and a tee. Run downstairs, eat breakfast, brush teeth, catch bus. Normal routine. On the bus, I sit in my usual place. The bus stops at a stop that no one usually uses. Strange. A boy climbs up the steps and walks through the isle. He runs his fingers through his fluffy blonde hair and then proceeds to stick his hand in the pocket of his tight grey jeans. The bus is unusually crowded today, so the only open seat left is next to me. The boy walks through the isle towards me, glancing around, trying to find an empty seat. He sees mine and I pat it, gesturing for him to sit. He does, and smiles. His teeth are nice and straight and his smile melts my heart.
"Hi, I'm Adrienne," I grin. He nods sadly.
"Thomas," he replies, taking my hand and gently kissing it. He has a sweet voice with a slight accent.
"Did you just move here?"
"Yes. I came from London," he whispers. Ah, so he's British.
"Where are you going to school?"
"Central," he mutters.
"Cool, me too!" He perks up slightly. We get off the bus and wander through the school, going through our everyday lives. We sort of become friends through out the day, and he sits with me at lunch. He's the first person to ever do that.

TIMESKIP ONE YEAR
It's Boxing Day, my birthday, so Thomas is coming over. We spent Christmas with our families, but we're doing a gift exchange and then making Sunday's and watching a movie. My doorbell rings and I hop up and run to the door. I open it up and jump into Tommy's arms. He spins me around and sets me down.
"I COME BEARING PRESENTS!!" He bellows. My little siblings Jason and Jaxon rush down the stairs to greet him. They're twins, but Jax has a large scar under his left eye. The boys jump onto Thomas, crushing him in giant hugs. We all walked over to the living room, turned on a Christmas flick and commenced the opening of the presents.
"Okay!" Thomas booms. "First present; Jase, from me." Jase rips open his gift, revealing a bright green water pistol. He thanks Thomas then takes his turn, handing me a gift that was hand wrapped (very poorly) in ugly paper. I carefully rip it to shreds, revealing a picture frame that Jase had made at school with a photo of him, Jax, Thomas and I all together. I give Jase the biggest hug I possibly can.
"I love it Jase, thank you!" I squeal. We proceed to open all the presents. Jase got a train set, a race car and a remote control helicopter. Jax got the water pistol, a pop gun and a sheriff's set. Thomas got a funny tee shirt with the words, "Who needs coffee when you came from the land of the tea?" Emblazoned on the front with a Union Jack and a two thousand piece, five square foot jigsaw puzzle from the twins. I got a similar puzzle (they come in sets and link up, like Legos). And there's one gift left; a little box from Tommy. He hands it to me and I carefully untie the pretty ribbon, giving it to Jax to tie around my wrist. I tear open the paper and pull out a long, slim box. I open it up and gasp, tears welling up in my eyes. On the day he met me, we were walking to the bus stop and I pulled him into my favourite shop. Inside, I showed him the most special thing to me: two necklaces, each one with half a key on it. It came with a box, that said on the top:
"Do you remember?"
A time capsule, with a lock that can only be opened with the key. I told him that day that I wanted to buy it, but had no one to share it with. But now, here they are: the two halves of the key. He reaches under the couch and pulls out a dusty box. He carefully takes they necklaces from the box, attaches them together and fits the key into the lock. He opens the box and hands it to me. I lift out each memory, one by one. The first is an old photo from the day we met, taken with a Polaroid camera. It's yellow around the edges, and not the best picture, but it's sweet. There's a mess of ticket stubs, from all the concerts we've been to, as well as plays and movies. More photos, of us at restaurants, at parks and on buses. There's our plane tickets from the time we went to Italy together. There's a friendship ring I gave him, that he used to wear but said he lost.
"You and I can add our memories, then in ten years, we can open it. Together," he whispers. He closes the box and takes apart the key, fastening one half around his neck and then attaching the other around mine. I give him a hug, and he looks down at me. He moves closer, closer, closer until there's only an inch of space between us, our foreheads touching and our breath mingling. A whisper from behind us breaks us out of our trance.
"I betcha five bucks their gonna kiss!"
"Naw, they'd have sent us to our rooms!" I smile.
"Boys, go upstairs!" I exclaim. Jase frowns and hands Jax a crumpled up fiver. The boys run upstairs, arguing and giggling.
"Now, where were we?" I whisper. He leans his forehead on mine, taking my arms and wrapping them loosely around his neck before wrapping his arms around my stomach.
"About... here," he whispers. I lean forward and close the minuscule gap, letting my lips collide with his. The kiss is soft and sweet, lasting as long as possible. He tastes like oranges and chocolate. He pulls back, taking a deep breath.
"Wow. You taste like Christmas cookies," he grins. I smirk.
"Well, you taste like Jaxon's dirty socks," I giggle. He punches me softly.
"Now, now, don't punch your new kissing buddy!" I mock. He leans forward, tilting his head.
"Kissing buddy? What do they do?"
"How bout I show you?" I whisper before leaning in and kissing him again. We break apart and lie down on the couch together. He whispers in my ear. I don't really listen, just enjoy the sound. I drift off, falling asleep in his arms.

I wake up on the couch. Thomas is gone, but he put the memory box on the table with a note.

Couldn't open it without you. :) I had to leave, but I'll be back this afternoon. Jase took a picture that I want to put in. So, I'll come back to put it in with you at ten.
<3 Tommy

I grin and get up, stretching and letting out a massive yawn. I grab my phone from the table and check the time: 10:10. Oh sweet mother of pearl. What if he came back and I didn't answer? And then he left? What if he doesn't want to be friends anymore. I run into the kitchen, where Thomas hands me a piece of bacon.
"Not now, Tommy! I need to get Tom- wait a second..." I trail off.
"Hullo!" He smirks, waving cheerily.
"How'd you get in?!" I half-scream.
"I have a key!" He explains, showing it off. I sit down at the counter and munch on a piece of bacon.
"That's right..." I mutter. I take a second piece of bacon and Tommy leans forward to kiss me. I swiftly smack him in the face with my bacon, then eat it. He rubs his face and stares at me sadly.
"Ouch... Why'd you meat-slap me?" He whines.
"Cause... I did!" I laugh. He runs around the table and I hop up and run away. We race into the living room and he tackles me onto the couch that I had slept on, pinning me down. He playfully smacks me on the cheek.
"That's for slapping me with a piece of pork!" He laughs.
"Hey, that's not-" he cuts off my rambling with a sweet kiss.
"That's for everything else," he whispers.
"What was that photo you wanted to put in the box?" I ask. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a Polaroid photo. It's the two of us, together with our foreheads touching, just before the kiss. Jax must've taken it from the staircase. I take it, and we scoot really close, trying to attach our necklaces.
"Guess we need to be closer," I mumble, climbing onto his lap. We attach the necklaces and open the box, placing it in. Next year, on a special date in a special spot, we'll bury it. Then, in ten years we'll dig it up.

Our little box of memories.