Prologue

Copyright © 2021 Spread_Positivity_ All rights reserved. If you see my book on any other platforms other than Wattpad, it is not by me.

A tall beautiful woman stood still in the darkness of the winter night, staring into the deep endless watery abyss beneath her. She held tightly onto the concrete pillar as a freezing gust of wind tested her balance on the ledge of the balcony. One more step and she would become a part of the darkness beneath her.

She had made her choice. It was something that was inevitable. The blood on her hands cannot be forgiven. Her hands were the culprit of the demise of her one true love that she both loved and hated. She is nothing but a monster, an abomination in this world that breaks all the laws of nature. She doesn't deserve to take another breath on this planet.

But as she heard small footsteps from behind her, she immediately stepped back onto the floor of the balcony.

"Mommy?" A little girl whimpered, shivering from the cold air that penetrated through her thin pajamas.

The woman somberly looked at her, memorizing every detail of the face that she loved with all her heart. This was her biggest regret. Her only happiness in this world would have to suffer once she is gone. She could never take this mistake back. If only she was a stronger woman, she would have stayed and protected her child. But no, she couldn't take this pain anymore.

As the full moon shone upon the woman's face illuminating her ivory skin and dark silky hair, it started.

The woman's body trembled as her bones began to fracture. Her nails extended into deadly claws. Her skin was pierced by needle-thin hairs again and again. Her bloodlust grew and grew. She suppressed a cry of agony and clenched her fists. She had to do it now before she loses control.

"Darling, go back to sleep. I'll come back inside after a few minutes." The woman forced a smile and gestured for the child to leave. The child was unaware of the woman's physical struggle over the control of her body, thus her minor tremors passed unnoticed in the darkness of the night.

The little girl reluctantly nodded her head and closed the balcony doors behind her. She laid down beneath the duvet and closed her eyes for a while. She tried counting sheep. She tried singing herself to sleep with a lullaby. But it was impossibly cold, almost freezing cold. The fact that she opened the balcony a few moments ago didn't help. Typically the weather in California never gets this cold. This was odd. Very odd. Ultimately, she concluded that she couldn't fall asleep in this cold, empty bedroom. So she got up and opened the doors once more.

"Mommy, it's so cold. I can't sleep." The girl's voice echoed through the darkness.

But there was no sound aside from the gushing wind. The little girl frantically ran to the edge of the balcony.

"Mommy! Mommy! Where are you?"

Her cries and tears were carried away by the wind, dissolving into faint whispers that were never answered. This chilling night had become the most sinister of villains. It had rendered the girl blind to the events unfolding in front of her and mercilessly ripped away her anchor of security. The little girl curled into a ball at the corner of the balcony, wanting to hide from the terror that consumed her. It was all for not, for she knew that one could never hide from the truth.

It was always her and her mother against the world. But now she was alone. She was truly alone.

******

The girl sat in the car motionless staring at her and her mother's oceanside cottage perched on a cliff until it faded into a small black dot on the horizon. That was where she and her mother shared all their memories. Dancing in the living room to some old '80s jam, reenacting her favorite movie Beauty and the Beast, stargazing on their balcony, cooking her mother's Persian cuisine, building pillow forts all around their house. Her entire childhood was in that house. As she could no longer even see a remnant of her home, she felt lifeless like she was staring into her life as an outside observer. Her normally spontaneous mind was blank and unresponsive. She sat so rigidly still that a passerby from afar could easily confuse her to be a stone statue.