Tootsie Rolling a Car

I woke up with a massive cramp on the side of my neck. Ugh, I looked to see the cause of it snoring peacefully right into my ear. It was honestly a miracle I slept at all. I slowly tried to readjust the old lady's head back onto her seat. But with the same luck that made me end up in economy class, she flopped back into her original position.

It's ok Amara, the flight is almost over. Breathe in. Exhale. Peace. Buddha. Think of your future plans and don't give in to your urge to smack the lady into consciousness.

I leaned away closer to the window and the lady resumed her slumber on the hand rest instead of my shoulder. Thank goodness, please stay that way.

I looked out the window and caught my reflection. Hmm, I did a pretty good job. I smiled in recognition of my expert work. I could definitely pass for a non-delinquent, charity-fundraising, children-hugging, people-loving mission worker. The complete opposite to what I actually was. They could never suspect that little five foot five me carries an assortment of blades in her cardigan, grenades in her pants, and bugs and cameras on her glasses. Yeah, airport security should really bump up their game. It was way too easy for me to just go to the bathroom, change my clothes and receive all the above from a paid-off airport employee.

I looked up to see a flight attendant come stand in front of the passengers. "Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Charles De Gaulle Airport where the local time is 8:00 am. Thank you for boarding Air France and we look forward to serving you again soon. Mesdames et messieurs, bienvenue à l'aéroport..."

Oh thank goodness! Finally! I can leave this dreadful flying cylinder. I nudged the woman next me, gently of course because I am a people-loving mission worker.

Her eyes fluttered open and she straightened herself in her seat. "Oh my, we are already here? Wow, that was a wonderful flight. I was able to sleep so very well considering how I don't get much sleep these days. Thank you dear for offering your shoulder for me." The woman smiled at me, her eyes crinkling.

Why does she have to be so nice? I couldn't be mad at this woman when she smiles this kindly.

"No worries, ma'am. It was my pleasure." I smiled back.

"Such an angel, aren't you dear?" She patted my aching shoulder.

I grimaced inside and awkwardly laughed. "Well I would definitely not call myself that..."

"Oh but of course, you're so humble! There should be more young people like you!"

"I really don't know about that." Oh, if she knew about my reality...

"Oh stop it, stop it! I wish I had a granddaughter like you, I only have all grandsons. The older one is close to your age and he is quite the looker! Here, here take my number. I can find a way to get a granddaughter myself." She pushed a piece of paper into my hand.

"And don't forget to follow me on instagram!" She added just before getting her suitcase and walking off.

I looked down at my hand and found her number and instagram written down along with a "ttyl, love Darla."

I tucked it into my cardigan before getting off the plane and entering the airport.

I remembered to fix the earpiece that resembles an airpod to my ear while walking through the ramp. Nowadays, it Is so easy to disguise our gadgets as modern day tech. No one would even blink an eye if they see someone walk by with a missile remote in full visibility, assuming it was some kind of walkie-talkie. So when you'd think that more technology would mean that catching and convicting criminals would be easier, you probably didn't guess how easy it is to disguise our technology as mainstream phones, smartwatches, tablets, and earphones.