SEVEN

S E V E N

JULIETTE KNEW HE'D BEEN OUT SMOKING AND DRINKING ALL NIGHT WITH HIS FRIENDS. She could tell as soon as he got home at two in the morning, nearly waking the whole house up with the loud, uncaring slam of the front door and the noisy clambering of footsteps up the stairs.

She was buried deep under her covers in the pitch black of the room — she hated sleeping with so much as a night light on — when there was very faint knocking against her door. So faint it was barely noticeable; as though he didn't want to actually wake her. Her back was to the door when she heard it creak open, followed by soft padding of Rafe walking towards her bed.

"Jules," came his quiet, drunken slur. She felt his fingers splay on her arm over her blanket, and then he climbed onto bed with her as he got under the covers. "Hi, baby, I'm home."

Juliette's heart skipped a beat as she kept her breath steady to keep up the pretense that she was still asleep.

His body was warm against hers as his arms encased around her, pulling her comfortably so she was snuggled up to him. He reeked of alcohol and cigarettes — she wondered if he'd started this vice of his when she left. His face was in her hair, lips brushing the back of her neck as he mumbled, "Jules, please don't leave me again."

Her eyes fluttered shut as she relished the moment of what being with Rafe was like once again. The lazy kisses, husky mumbles, wandering hands, smoldering gazes — everything that was Rafe Cameron, Juliette couldn't get enough of.

"I love you," he was murmuring again, half-asleep as he pressed another kiss on her shoulder. "Fuck, if only you knew how much I love you."

     I do, Rafe, Julie thought, I do know how much you love me.

     She waited until she knew for sure he was asleep. His arms around her got heavy, and his breathing deepened. She slowly twisted in his arms so she was face to face with him, and her stomach flipped at the peacefulness on his face. She brought a hand up, using her pointer finger to gently trace his features from his nose to the curve of his lips. She brushed his bangs off his forehead, then leaned over as she very quietly said, "Rafe?"

"Mm." He barely stirred in his sleep, arms tightening to hold her.

"I love you," she whispered. "I still do." She brushed his lips over his in the barest of kisses and felt an explosion of butterflies in her stomach. "I don't think I can ever stop loving you."

𓆉

When Juliette woke up the next morning, Rafe was already gone. She touched the side he slept on, and felt it a little warm. Listening intently, she could hear the shower running on the other side of the hallway, and realized he had just woken up and was taking a shower. She decided to get out of bed and take one as well, getting dressed for the day before going downstairs.

"Hey, kid," a voice called out from the kitchen, and Juliette turned to see her dad making a sandwich.

"Oh, hey, Dad, what's up?" She waddled over to him, purposely staring at his food.

Conrad rolled his eyes before handing her the rest of his sandwich. "Topper came to speak with me and Ward yesterday."