FIFTEEN

F I F T E E N

[age 15]

"THIS MOVIE GIVES ME SEROTONIN," Juliette said through a mouthful of pizza. Her feet were propped up on the coffee table in front of her, one leg strewn over Rafe's as they both munched on late night snacks in front of the TV.

Rafe was sipping on his Dr. Pepper — his fourth slice of pizza long gone. "You say that in every movie we watch. At this point, I just assume every movie makes you happy."

She grinned, glancing away from the screen to look over at Rafe who was smiling affectionately at her. He may put on a show like he hates the world — but not towards Juliette. Never towards her. It was practically impossible for him to do so.

"Will you quit calling me out," she said, her heart swelling upon hearing the laugh she'd manage to elicit out of the boy. Perhaps it wasn't movies that gave her serotonin — but rather, it was the sound of Rafe Cameron's laughter.

"Okay, dork, that was my bad," Rafe said, setting his Dr. Pepper down on the coaster she'd brought out for their drinks. He snuggled back into the couch, wrapping an arm around her so he could hold her against him. He laid his head against the crevice between her neck and shoulder. "Can I sleep here tonight like this?" His lips brushed against her skin when he spoke.

"No — you need to watch this part. This is my favorite part." Juliette forced him to sit up straight as her eyes widened as though to drink in the scene playing before her. "It's where Heath Ledger sings Can't Take My Eyes Off You."

     Rafe's lips curled to a faint grin as he watched the way she was sitting at the edge of the couch in obvious excitement and anticipation. Then the singing started, and he watched her beam as she stared at the actor with googly eyes. He chuckled and shook his head to himself.

"Oh, oh, Rafe, get up," Jules was patting his leg as she rose to her feet. In the movie, the band began to play music that built up the tempo of the song as Ledger began to dance on the steps for Julia Stiles.

"Why?" Rafe whined but complied nonetheless for his girl.

"Dance with me," was all she said as Ledger started to sing again.

I love you, baby
And if it's quite alright
I need you, baby
To warm the lonely night
I love you, baby
Trust in me when I say

Rafe was laughing, a grin painted on his face as he swayed side to side with Jules to the upbeat music. She was belting out the lyrics, pointing at Rafe whenever she'd say, 'I love you, baby'. At the small instrumental break of the song, Rafe suddenly spun her away from him. He watched the way her eyes lit up at his participation, and he spun her back in his arms.

"Oh, pretty baby, don't bring me down, I pray, oh pretty baby," Rafe was murmuring along to the song, his heart jumping at the way Jules was smiling so brightly at him. He was holding her against him, one hand entwined with hers and the other on the small of her back as he swayed them to the beat.

Jules stood on her tiptoes and pressed a kiss on his lips, catching him by surprise. "Now that I've found you, stay, and let me love you, baby."

Rafe pulled her for another kiss, his warm mouth covering hers as he kissed her deeply. His hands were on her waist, sliding down to grip her hips as she kissed him back, her arms looping around his neck as her fingers slipped through his hair.

"I love you," he managed to say between kisses, pressing his forehead against hers. "More than you know, and more than you think I do." His lips touched her forehead tenderly, arms tightening around her as he drew her in an embrace. "It's you, Jules. It's always gonna be you for me."

Jules snaked her arms around Rafe's waist, burying her head against his chest. "This right here," she said, shifting so she could look up at him and meet his gaze. "This heart I have — it beats for you, Rafe. You're one of the people in my life who keeps me alive." She reached a hand up to cup his face, a thumb brushing over the curve of his cheekbone. "Every piece of my heart is filled with so much love for you."

Rafe was shaking his head gently to himself, a small chuckle escaping him. "I don't know why you do," he said in quiet vulnerability. "You, who are braver than anyone else, loves me, who is more foolish than anyone else."

"Shush." Jules pressed a finger on his lips. "Don't say that. Rafe, you are so much more worth than what anyone else could ever say about you. Okay?"

He nodded, leaning forward so their noses touched in an eskimo kiss. "You really are too good to be true, you know that?"

     Before either of them could say or do anything more, someone padded into the living room. Long, dark hair, glasses, unicorn pajamas — it was Rafe and Sarah's eleven year old sister Wheezie.

     "Hi, Wheezie!" Juliette said happily, pulling out of the embrace with Rafe as she waved over the girl. "Do you wanna come join us?"

     Wheezie nodded. "Can you teach me how to dance, Julie?"

     "I'm not a good dancer, but Rafe can teach you just like he taught me. Come here." She held Wheezie's shoulders and walked her forward to Rafe who started to protest, but clamped his mouth shut at the look Juliette gave him.

     "Please, Rafe," Wheezie begged, her hands together as though praying.

     He let out a sigh, rolling his eyes as he offered her his palms. "Okay, fine, hurry up before I change my mind."

     Wheezie beamed and took his hands. Rafe let her step on his feet as he spoke to her as patiently as he could, albeit the occasional click of his tongue if she did something wrong.

     Juliette sat on the couch, watching Rafe teach his youngest sister how to dance, and she didn't think it was possible to fall even more in love with him. Even though he claimed there was no one else in the world who warmed his heart the way she did — Wheezie was a close second. He doted on her more than he did Sarah, though he tried to hide it.

     She didn't lie when she said that Rafe Cameron owned every piece of her heart, and she didn't want any of it back.