TWELVE

T W E L V E

[age 16]

IT WAS JULIETTE'S FIRST DAY BACK TO SCHOOL AS A JUNIOR STUDENT IN KOOK ACADEMY. Her day wasn't actually as terrible as Rafe had made it sound — they mainly just talked about syllabus. Rafe was a senior now, so that'd mean he'd be graduating soon and going off to college, and she'll have to go through these hallways without him. But at least she had Sarah with her — and Topper, she supposed, who occasionally looked out for her per Rafe's request.

"Homecoming week is coming up soon," Sarah said to her as they both shouldered the book bags and made their way down the hallways. Their last class of the day had just ended, and Sarah was going to get a ride from Topper who had just gotten his license.

Juliette nodded, eyes skimming through the students as she searched for Rafe whom she was riding home with. "Yeah, I wonder what the themes are going to be for Spirit Week."

     Sarah waved at a girl who said hello. Although she was just a sophomore (a year younger than Juliette) she was pretty popular amongst the upperclassmen, making all the freshmen instantly know her. "Me too. Ooh!" she suddenly exclaimed, slapping Juliette's arm in that excited way of hers. "If there's Best Friend Day, we should definitely go as — "

     "Merry and Pippin!" both of them said in unison.

     The two walked out of the school, clambering down the steps as they caught sight of Topper waiting for Sarah down on the parking lot. Juliette tagged along, coming to a halt when she neared the boy.

     "Hey, Julie," Topper greeted cheerfully as Sarah slid into the front seat. Juliette noticed the way Topper looked pleased to see Sarah, and she wondered if he was actually going to ask her out. "Good first day?"

     Juliette nodded, impatiently pushing her hair away from her face. It was windy outside today, and the breeze felt good in the heat. "Do you know where Rafe is?"

     Topper frowned at the question, checking his watch as he mumbled under his breath, "He should be finished by now . . . "

     Juliette's lips tugged down as she asked, "Topper, where is he?"

     He hesitated for a second before sighing and giving in when he saw the worried features on her face. "He's in Kelce's house with a couple of other seniors. They skipped last period to get together. He told me he'd be back just in time to come get you, but he must have forgotten." He jerked a thumb at his truck. "If you want, I can give you a ride home."

     Juliette thought about it for a second. "Actually, could you take me to Kelce's house instead?"

     "No problem, hop in."

     The ride to Kelce's house was fairly short, and Juliette waved goodbye at Sarah and thanked Topper before shutting the truck's door behind her. Letting out a puff of irritated breath, she marched up to Kelce's front porch and rang the doorbell.

     She heard footsteps approach the door, and then it swung open to reveal Kelce himself. He had been looking over his shoulder talking with someone, a large smile on his face until he turned to see who his visitor was — and that his grin instantly dropped.

     "Oh, shit."

     Juliette smiled sweetly despite the obvious frustration in her eyes. "Hi, Kelce," she greeted. "Is Rafe here?"

     He gulped. "Uh, no?"

     No longer than a second later, a voice called out from inside, "Aye, bro, hurry up, you're missing out on me kicking ass." It was Rafe.

     Kelce looked as though he was going to start sweating any moment now. "I mean, yes?"

     "Excuse me," Juliette said, making her way inside through the threshold as she strode inside to where she could hear laughter and Rafe's voice. She entered the living room to see about seven seniors sprawled all over, drinking beer, playing a video game, and smoking.

     She didn't know what surprised her more — to see Rowan Cash amongst the boys or Rafe smoking a cigarette.

     As soon as all seven boys turned to look at her, they all snapped their gazes to Rafe whose eyes widened upon seeing her. "Jules!" he exclaimed, whipping around to search for a clock. "Shit, baby, I'm so sorry, I lost track of time."

     "Yeah, I kinda figured. Listen, can we just go home? Please?" Juliette was avoiding Rowan's eyes and how he was eyeing her legs in the skirt she wore.

     "One last game, and I promise I'll take you home." Rafe suddenly turned and caught sight of Rowan who was watching her, and he scowled. "Jules, c'mere." He shifted in his seat so his legs were slightly spread apart as he patted on his right thigh.

     Juliette let out another puff of breath, grumpily walking to where Rafe called her over as she complied to sit on his lap. He smelled like cigarettes, and she wrinkled her nose as he drew her in against his chest so she was more comfortable. "You stink, Rafe," she mumbled, leaning her head against the crook of his shoulder tiredly.

     "I know, I'm sorry," he apologized, taking his eyes off the screen for a second to glance at her. His arms were around her, hands holding the controller with a cigarette wedged between his fingers.

     "That's your last one, okay?" she said quietly, she didn't want to nag at him out loud in front of all his friends.

     "It's my last one," Rafe agreed, shifting his head so his cheek was towards her. "Kiss?"

     Juliette pressed a very quick and chaste one, and she watched his lips curl up to a smile at her. Her heart skipped a beat at the fondness in those ocean blue eyes of his. "I'm still mad at you for skipping last period and smoking," she said, but there was a small smile on her face as she watched him play in concentration.

     "Yeah?" Rafe grinned, reaching up to take a drag off his cigarette and then turning his head away from her so he could blow the smoke out far from her direction. "I'll make it up to you tonight then."

     "You damn right you will," she huffed, and Rafe leaned his head forward to press a kiss against her neck before he continued to watch the screen.

     "How was first day for you?" he made small talk with her, absolutely ignoring everyone else in the room talking with each other. She was all he cared about right now.

     Juliette told him everything about her day, making sure not to leave out a single detail. Rafe was her best friend — it was one of the best perks about having him as both that and her boyfriend. She knew he was listening to every word she said from the little responses he gave here in there to show he was following along.

     "YES!" Rafe was pumping a fist in the air, the controller tossed to the couch with his cigarette long burnt out in the ashtray. "Did you see that, Jules?" he was smiling so wide, his face could split into two.

     The other boys were groaning as they resorted to grabbing their drinks and abandoning the finished game. "Cameron, do you ever lose?" one of them asked.

     Kelce snorted. "Yeah, man, like just this once, y'know?"

     Juliette was proudly watching her boyfriend who was tightening his arm around her for a hug as he talked about what he did differently than others that caused him to survive.

     "I always win," Rafe was telling her happily as they drove home that day, his hand entwined with hers the whole time.

     Juliette let out a small laugh as she nodded along and playfully said, "You won because I was your lucky charm."

     This only caused Rafe to grin even wider. "Indeed you are." He brought their interlocked fingers up to his mouth, pressing a soft kiss against the back of her hand as he said, "You're my luckiest charm in the world, Jules."

     And Juliette felt like the luckiest girl in the world that day because she had Rafe Cameron as her best friend and boyfriend — and she wouldn't trade him for anything else. He was all she needed.