SEVENTEEN

S E V E N T E E N

[age 16]

ONE OF THE DOWNSIDES OF HAVING YOUR BIRTHDAY ON THE FOURTH OF JULY WAS HAVING TO SPEND YOUR NIGHT WITH A BUNCH OF DRUNK KIDS. Juliette didn't want to go to the party tonight — she wanted to stay at home, have dinner with her father and the Camerons, play Monopoly with Sarah, Rafe, and Wheezie, and then when it got late, sneak out with her boyfriend to eat ice cream by the boardwalk and watch the stars and fireworks out on the Benjamin.

     She had no idea what went through her head when she agreed to go to the party Topper was hosting in his house. He and Kelce came by for lunch with Juliette and Rafe, the Thornton boy inviting them for his Fourth party since his mom would be out all night working the night shift.

     Rafe knew she didn't want to go, so he'd turned down the offer at first, saying that he just wanted to spend the rest of Juliette's birthday alone with her. But she felt bad because Rafe had been missing all the previous Fourth of July parties because he'd insist on spending it with her. That's why she told Topper that she and Rafe would be at his house tonight after their annual Monopoly game.

     "Jules, baby," Rafe's voice was that quiet, murmured slur of his as he reached for her hand across the gearshift. His palm was warm as it covered hers, his fingers caressing hers — she could feel his ring graze against her skin.

"Yes, Rafe, I'm sure," she said, already knowing what it was he was going to ask. She turned to look at him, seeing the way his eyebrows were knitted together. "I want to go to this party. You don't have to keep worrying about it."

Rafe glanced at her for a second before returning his attention to the road, driving down the street to Topper's house. He lifted her hand he was holding, bringing it up to his mouth as his lips brushed over her knuckles. "I was just going to say I love you."

Juliette said nothing at first, stunned at the suddenness of what he'd said. "Oh," she said, turning to look out the window so she could hide the stupid smile she had on her face from him.

This wasn't the first time he'd said he loved her, it just always seemed to catch her off guard with how much fondness and affection his voice held when he'd say it.

She swiveled in her seat so she could face him again, bringing their entwined hands to her own face this time. "I love you," she said wholeheartedly, pressing a kiss on his knuckles before laying his palm over her cheek.

     Rafe had that contented grin on his face as he turned the wheel with one hand to pull into the driveway, his other hand on her face. His thumb traced the line of her lips, grazing over them as he trailed his hand down to grip the side of her neck. The pad of his thumb brushed over the curve of her throat, his fingers tightening ever so lightly around her, and Juliette let out a soft sigh.

     "It's not too late to go back home, baby," Rafe was murmuring, putting the car into park as he shifted in his seat to face her. She was looking up at him through heavy half-opened lids, her mouth slightly parted as she subconsciously tilted her head backwards.

     "Hmm?" She didn't seem to be comprehending what he was saying.

     Rafe leaned over so his mouth ghosted over the skin of her jaw. His hand was still on her throat, and he could feel her body gravitating towards him. "I said," his voice was no louder than a whisper, pressing butterfly kisses along her jaw, down the side of her neck, and on her exposed collarbone. "It's not too late to go back home."

Jules was breathing heavily, her eyes were closed as she pulled her hair away from the side of her neck where Rafe was peppering kisses on. "Huh?"