53

Alexander arrived at the resort feeling a little peculiar. It was never an empty place but for his sake it had been emptied out.

He wouldn't deny it though, the calm and quiet brought a settling feeling in him, like it was something that could become easy to crave.

About eight staff members were there to welcome him. The seven stood behind a woman whose uniform was a little different; a distinctive quality to show her superiority.

"It's good to see you Rosetta," he said to the head of the staff before she could say anything.

At first he'd liked her because she worked hard and took no bullshit, whether from her team or the clients that frequented the resort. Now he just liked her because he thought she was really cool.

"I'd say the same thing sir, but you don't look so good," she said inspecting him warily.

Alexander acknowledged her team with a nod even as none of them seemed to be able to make eye contact with him.

She then signaled to them and they went on to get to work; some back to the resort while another handled his luggage.

It was only the two of them walking now. They took their time as she walked him in the direction of a little bar by the ocean.

"It isn't like you to... take a break, not at least one such as this one," said Rosetta.

"I wouldn't dream of it either," said Alexander, drifting off.

"But Tadashi..." they both said at the same time and sighed.

Rosetta nodded as they kept walking. "I'm walking you to have a drink but you can go have time to yourself first if that's what you'd prefer."

"A drink is fine," said Alexander. They reached the bar and he settled on a stool, leaning his elbows casually on the counter.

"After this, I'll find you later to explain how your entire week has been planned out. There's a few things I'm sure you'd like," she said.

He waved her off and gestured to a stool next to him. "Tell me now, I'll buy."

She laughed at his poor attempt at a joke. But she settled on the stool next to him. "I mean, if you insist."

They were served cocktails while they talked.

"You really look way off your game Alexander, you can talk to me you know," she told him.

"I know," he replied. "But I'd rather hear about how you've been doing."

Rosetta was easy to talk to, period. He just wasn't good at talking to people. He doubted he'd ever be.

"You know the drill. Rich men or women and their families flying in and out every other day, the men getting comfortable enough to tell you about all the problems with their failed marriages then trying to get in your panties. Same old same old."

Alexander chuckled. "And you all claim to love working here."

"We do. I for one know there's no where else I'd rather be," she had a serious expression on her face as she said it. "No one as rich as you stands up for people like us, but you did–"

"Stop bringing that up, it's uncomfortable to hear about it all the time."

Rosetta chuckled. "I do it on purpose, you seem to forget every good thing you do."

Alexander really hated hearing about it. About a year ago, he'd found out one of Rosetta's team had been harassed and threatened by one of their guests. It was utterly disgusting.