3

I was up at 7. Much early than normal but only because Gordon had woken me up and made sure I stayed up. Buzzkill.

Seeing as I was still half asleep when I got ready, I put on a sweater and some jeans. Easy and simple.

Jan made sure that I had eaten his specialty breakfast. It was actually really good. And then I was ushered into a car which is where I was currently sitting.

"Where are we going?" I asked Gordon.

"Skating rink." Ah, he was pulling my own tricks out on me.

"Why?"

"I told you yesterday, Wren." He was already getting annoyed with me. I sighed and looked out the window.

When we got to the skating rink, there was a group of kids in green hockey wear and Don Tibbles was there as well. Gordon and I walked out onto the ice, I was careful to make sure I didn't slip. Gordon started talking to Tibbles and I look over at the kids on the other side of the rink. All of them wearing different colored jerseys.

Then I looked over at the other kids in green.

"I don't recognize you, are you a new player?" Number 99 asks.

I snort, very unladylike as my aunt would say, "If I was a new player this team would be screwed."

99 opens his mouth to speak but then I feel hands on my shoulder as Gordon's booming voice calls out, "I'd like to introduce my little sister, Wren." Everyone looks at me and I feel my face start to flush.

99 leans down towards me and says, "I'm Adam. Most people call me Banks or Banksie though."

A brunette looks over and adds, "Or we call him Cake-eater." Adam pushes the brunette.

Before I can reply Gordon says, "Tell me about my new kids."

Everyone looks over to the group of kids on the other side of the ice as Tibbles points at a player in blue and says, "That's Luis Mendoza. He's from our Miami club. A real speedster. Incredible skater," Mendoza begins to skate around, showing what he can do, "I clocked him at 1.9 seconds, blue line to blue line."

All of us watch in silence as Mendoza begins to show off his skills.

I look over as I hear someone say, "Shut up Averman." And a red head falls to the ground. I laugh a little as he stands back up.

Then I hear another big boom and look over to see that Luis has collided with the wall. The other skaters move to help him up, "I almost had it that time." I hear him say. I move my hand up to my mouth to prevent myself from snorting. The kids around me laugh at Mendoza.

I look over and nudge Adam, "So, you guys haven't met these kids yet?"

"No. The rest of us played PeeWees together but these guys are new."

"Oh..."

This time Adam nudges me, "Do you skate?"

"Not for sports. My aunt and I used to go to rinks."

Adam thinks about my answer for a second and then looks down at me again, reminds me that I hate being short, "Your aunt? Coach never taught you to skate or play hockey?"

I don't answer that one.

"YEEHAW! How is everyone? Y'all ready to play some puck?" Rings out across the rink as we all turn to look at the cowboy skater.

A kid that I haven't met yet jokes, "Hey look, it's hopalong gretzky." Everyone around me chuckles but I just watch as the kid messes around with the puck. Even though I know nothing about hockey, I can tell this kid's good.