19

The team was sitting in the locker room, waiting on our missing person. Gordon. 

Of course he was missing. He never showed up when anyone needed him to. 

Even though the team was frustrated with Gordon, they still needed him. Captain Blood was who was winning the games. The whole team was starting to get anxious, especially Charlie, who moved to sit next to me, "Why isn't he here?" 

I looked over at him and shrugged, "I don't know. But, it's about time that he showed you guys his real colors." 

"You don't know who he is, Wren." Charlie quickly defended. 

I glared at him, "Charlie." 

"Hm?"

"Get out of my face." 

Charlie quickly looked over at me to see if I was serious. Seeing the look on my face, he stood up and walked away from me. 

I knew that I was being somewhat unreasonable with my grudge, but I wasn't ready to give it up anytime soon. Eleven years of no older brother and the anger tends to build up. I knew people liked him, and I knew someone would always come to his defense, but I was still allowed to be frustrated. 

I was also aware that Charlie saw Gordon as the closest thing to a father, I didn't blame him, but his constant defensiveness and loyalty to him was aggravating. I would never defend my father. 

I hardly noticed Averman sitting next to me, "What are we supposed to do? We don't have a coach; and if we don't have a coach we forfeit. If we lose one more game, we go home. Wren, I don't want to go home, not yet." 

I put my arm around his shoulders, "I know. I'll figure it out, I promise." I stood up, "Alright, everyone just go and warm up. I'll figure it out." 

"Who made you the boss?" Dean questioned. 

"Don't try me right now, Dean. I'm pissed off and I'm ready to start fucking screaming. If you want to win this game, if you want to not go home, get on the ice and warm up. I'm being kind and offering to try and fix this for you, so do as I say or fix it yourself." 

"Yes, ma'am." Dean said quickly, already moving to leave the locker room. 

Some of the team followed him and others stayed, staring at me, "We do not have enough time for me to repeat myself, so please just go and warm up." 

I left the locker room. Already on the search for Gordon. 

I had come up empty-handed as I joined the team in the box, "Gordon?" Charlie asked me.

I shook my head, "No, I'm sorry. I looked everywhere." 

And truly I had. I knew how much winning meant to my friends, and I didn't want them to have to forfeit because my idiot brother never showed up when needed. 

"Can't you just coach us?" Averman asks. 

I shake my head again, "No, I'm not 21. I don't think I can pull off being seven years older anyways." 

The team started panicking, yelling at each other. I was frustrated, I didn't know what to do...until I did, "I have an idea." I said to Charlie as I ran off. 

I went to look for our teacher, knowing that she'd be here. She never missed a game. 

When I found her in the lobby, I was panting, hands on my knees, "Wren, what's wrong?" She asked me, concerned. 

"Team...needs...your...help," I grabbed her hand and quickly started to run again, "Let's go!" 

When we got back to the rink, a ref was talking to the team, "Without a coach behind the bench, you can't play."