5

School.

Apparently school was what I was preparing myself for.

I was sitting in some grassy clearing near some water with the team because Gordon had forced me to go to school.

I hate school.

Everyone on the team was wearing some matching outfit though so I got a good kick out of that at least.

"Ancient Greece was the beginning of western civilization," Miss MaKay lectured, "See, in Greece they didn't have professional sports or wheaties boxes. So the athletes competed for another reason. Anybody?"

"Falafels?" Goldberg offered.

"Falafels sounds good." I said to myself. Connie heard me and laughed but still continued to make fun of Goldberg.

Clearly the answer was pride but I wasn't all that into the whole participation thing.

Charlie raised his hand and Miss MaKay called on him, "Pride."

I literally just said that.

"That's right. The various city-states waved their flags and wore their home colors proudly." MaKay continued.

"Did America always dominate?" Fulton asked. I snorted and shook my head at his question. Everyone scoffed at him too.

"That's a good question." Dean defended his friend.

"No, America wasn't around back then." MaKay informed the young scholar man, "Don't forget that compared to other countries, America is still young, still forming its own identity. America is a teenager. Just like you."

"Like us?" Jesse asked.

Oh my god she literally just said that Jesse.

"You bet. A little awkward at times," How is a country awkward? That doesn't make sense, "but always right there on the verge of greatness." Aw, she thinks I'm great.

Miss MaKay finished with her lesson just in time for Gordon to show up to the clearing, "As we all know, today is our last day in Minnesota, so I was thinking we go for a little ride. Everyone up for it?" The team cheered.

Everyone got ready and Gordon lead the group in a short of golf cart, me sitting in the passenger seat as both of us knew I wouldn't be able to keep up with the skaters. The team sang songs and messed around, enjoying their last day in Minnesota.

I still hate planes.

I was now sitting in, another window seat, a plane again. No one had told me who I was meant to sit next to so I was expecting to sit next to some random people, I was (happily) surprised when it was Adam who sat down next to me.

"Hey Queens."

"Adam."

He settled himself next to me, "Do you know how long this flight is?"

"Someone said around four hours." Averman's voice called down as he sat down in the last seat in our row, "Hiya guys."

"Oh, god." Adam said, leaning his head back against the seat.

I bent over so I could see Averman more clearly, "Hi Averman."

"Wren!" He exclaimed, "See, now I thought I'd have to be stuck with this boring cake-eater for the entire trip."

I suck in a breath through my teeth, "Sorry to be a buzzkill Averman, but I'm not gonna be much fun on this flight either. I hate airplanes."

Averman bent over, practically laying across Adam's lap and grabs onto my hand, "Don't worry Wren, I'll hold your hand every time you get scared. I promise." He nodded his head and did the funny little smile that he does.