Chapter Two

The chilling wind that was gently hitting her face was calming, helping her to soothe her nerves and forget this morning's unlucky events.

When she woke up that morning, she found out the red mist was back and it was bigger, surrounding her entire bed like a dome. When Zoe said she couldn't get out of her bed (she said to herself, but still), she literally meant it. The somewhat transparent yet solid scarlet dome was blocking her, trapping her in for almost 20 minutes until it suddenly faded away.

She needed to find a way to stop whatever was happening to her.

With that determined thought in mind, Zoe pushed her skateboard with her back foot, moving forward and enjoying the soothing wind once again as she sped up.

She was so close to the school when there was a loud horn blaring behind her, almost making her lose her balance.

"Hey! Get out of the way, loser!"

Under any other circumstances, she probably would hear Cindy or Henry yell that as they would walk down the halls with linked arms, but it took her less than two seconds to realize it was actually Jake. He was laughing uncontrollably from inside his car at her scared reaction and she flipped him off.

"Come on, that was funny!" Jake insisted with a cheeky smile as they met at the school parking lot a few minutes later, "You should have seen your face!"

"That just costed you your precious Disney Marathon this weekend," The girl replied coldly, crossing her arms over her chest.

"What? No! Come one, Z," Jake practically whined, leaping forwards to catch up with Zoe as she walked.

The girl rolled her eyes at him, but the young teens stopped bickering as they saw the destroyed front sign of the school. Half of it was completely gone and the other half seemed like it was almost melted somehow. They weren't the only ones who noticed, and a crowd of students began to form around the sign.

'What in the world happened to it?'

"Come on, we have Algebra," Jake tugged her away from the scene after a few moments, heading over towards the entrance.

The school halls were as just as crowded, students buzzing with excitement and showing off their talents for Regional Talent Competition. After shoving her skateboard and helmet into her locker, Jake and Zoe started to make their way to class.

"Go ahead and pick a card, any card." She heard someone say, and she turned around to see Joey Zarick dressed in his magician outfit, standing next to an unfamiliar girl. She had shoulder-length curly blonde hair and bright eyes.

She gave him a short laugh, "Okay. Uh..."

"Alright, take a look at it. Don't let me see it," Joey said as the girl picked her card, "Remember it, though. Okay?"

"That's the new girl," Jake noted, watching the two as well, "I think her name is Courtney,"

"Alright, put it anywhere back in the deck." Joey guided her, "Thanks for letting me practice on you, by the way. Today is the Regional Talent Competition. Cindy and Jenny always win, though.

"Speaking of the devil," Jake leaned closer to Zoe, as Cindy and Jenny broke through the crowd that had come to see Joey's magic trick. It was quite obvious that Jake, Artemis, and Zoe were not part of Cindy Burman's fan group.

The redhead scoffed and muttered under her breathe, "Because this town is the only place twerking is an award-winning talent."

"Now for the aforementioned mind-blowing." Joey announced proudly, "Courtney from California... Is this your card?"