Chapter Four

The plan was actually pretty simple.

Yolanda Montez was an outcast. It all started three months ago when this whole school scandal thing had gone down. The poor girl didn't show up to school for days, and when she did, nobody dared to talk to her, they just stared and laughed. Zoe wanted to approach her, to say something. But she and Yolanda were never even friends, and what could she possibly say to her that will help her situation anyway?

So, if she could find out who Yolanda was hanging out with, she could find the mystery girl.

And the plan seemed to work very smoothly, as Courtney Whitmore, AKA the new girl, was the only one that talked to Yolanda. She also had blonde curly hair and her voice sounded more and more familiar when Zoe was thinking about it. She was definitely the girl Zoe was looking for.

"Gotcha," The redhead victoriously mumbled to herself, seeing Courtney and Yolanda walking down the halls together.

"Got who?" Jake asked, leaning over her shoulder behind her, causing her to jump in surprise.

"Gosh, Jake!" Zoe scolded, putting a hand over her now pounding heart, "Someone needs to put a bell around your neck."

The boy only furrowed his eyebrows in return, trying to figure out who his best friend was watching, "Who were you looking at?"

"No one, it's really not important," Zoe told him quickly (perhaps too quickly), "Um, anyway, where is Artemis?"

"Hanging out with the team," The brunet replied simply to her poor attempt to divert the conversation.

"Right, I'll go find her. Save me a seat in Biology, will you?"

Zoe walked away before she could even hear his answer.

People around her had orange flyers in their hands, and Zoe realized that Jenny and Cindy were holding them out, inviting everyone to her Halloween party at her house. Well, almost everyone.

Cindy stopped in front of Courtney and Yolanda, glaring viciously, and Zoe was close enough to hear what she said.

"Everyone's invited except you two. I wouldn't want a slut in the same house as my boyfriend," The girl sneered at Yolanda before looking at the blonde beside her, "And you better hope I don't see you there, new girl,"

And with that, the popular duo strode past them and continued giving away invitations. However, they paused briefly as the girl with the silver highlights found a new prey – Zoe.

"Look Jenny," Cindy started, looking at Zoe with nothing but mockery in her eyes, "Zoe Bennet doesn't even need a costume for tonight – she already looks like a walking pumpkin, and an ugly one, too. Just look at those bangs!"

Jenny laughed loudly, obnoxiously, that Zoe almost winced. But Artemis told her she should never show any sort of weakness to the likes of Cindy Burman. Ignoring her never resulted in a good way either, as the girl practically lived off attention, so Zoe gave her a tight smile, thanked her for the invitation (though she knew she'd never step anywhere near Cindy's house), and kept walking.

Zoe let out an annoyed breath. She couldn't let people distract her from her mission.

She didn't want to make it obvious she was following Courtney and Yolanda, so she watched out to see if someone was looking at her strangely, or if Artemis and Jake were still around (she had noticed Artemis earlier as she tackled one of the boys from the football team to the ground, but Zoe had managed to sneak away past her sight). The students in Blue Valley were, as per usual, pretty much oblivious to those around them. All of them except one.