Prologue

⋆ ⋆ ⋆

A car horn was sound from outside her bedroom window, and she peeked out to see a familiar car parking in front of her house. She grabbed her bag and unplugged her phone, rushing downstairs just as her mom called.

"Zoe, Jake's here!"

"I'm coming!"

It was pretty much an ordinary day in Blue Valley. Maybe except for the fact a new girl joined her high school, but if it weren't for Henry King causing a scene at the cafeteria and Cindy Burman complaining about it to everyone the entire day, Zoe probably would've never noticed the girl.

Zoe Bennet was not a social butterfly, to say the least. Not because she couldn't make friends (she firmly believed she could if she had just put the effort to) but because she was more than happy and comfortable with her two best friends.

It was pretty much safe to say the unusual school day was long forgotten. Besides she had a much more challenging task at hand right now – movie night.

A small town had its perks, sure. One of them according to Jake, was the drive-in theater which he luckily (his words, not hers) managed to get tickets. Zoe was not a fan of movies, most of the time she found them annoying and predictable, but she liked her quality time with her friends. Also, usually half-way through the movies they ended up cracking jokes, telling stories or just driving away to get food at Richie's Diner.

So, movie nights weren't that bad most of the time.

The redhead made her way to the front door of the house but stopped as her mother called her name once again. "Hang on, I got you something from Eve's on the way back from work."

Tuesdays were the days when her mom's shift usually ended early, but it really depended on how much they needed at her the hospital. Sometimes there were weeks when her mom got back really late or had to leave pretty early for work, so Zoe took matters into her own hands and started visiting her at the hospital. It didn't take long until Zoe decided to become a permanent volunteer at the hospital, she got to see her mom more and it was nice to help people.

"I know it's your favorite," her mom cheerily said, holding up a big bag of kettle corn, "but don't forget to also share it."

"No promises." Zoe flashed one of her signature smirks, taking the beloved popcorn and putting it in her bag. Her mother smiled brightly at her, brushing a hand through her ruffled, definitely post-work, dark hair, "Thank you. I won't stay too late so don't worry about me."

A loud scoff was heard from the living room, "It's movie night, I'm more worried for your friends."

"And I'll make sure to tell them you said that, Dad," Zoe replied just as loudly, hearing him laugh lightly in return. Zoe's disapproval for movies was no secret in the Bennet's house. Another car honk was heard, signaling that Jake was getting impatient and it was her cue to go.

"Have fun, pumpkin!"

"Thanks!"

Outside the sun was already setting, shades of blue slowly taking over the sky and mixing with hues of reds and oranges. Her family didn't travel much, but when they did, Zoe always liked to look at the sky. Yet it didn't matter where they were, she was sure no place could match with Blue Valley's view.

"Come on, Zo! I don't want us to be late!" Thebrunet called, peeking his head out of the window's car. The girl jokingly rolled her eyes at him, rushing towards the passenger seat. Once she sat down she was greeted by a sweet familiar smell.