Chapter Three

There was no laugher surrounding the area of Joey's locker. Despite the crowd that had gathered around it, it was quiet, only hushed mumbles and sniffles. Right after the memorial, many students and the school's staff filled the hall with flowers, pictures of Joey, notes, and letters.

Earlier that morning, when Zoe was waiting for Algebra class to start, she glanced at Joey's empty seat. For a split moment, she just forgot about what happened, as if he would walk in any moment with his typical wide smile and take the seat in front of her. But then reality came crashing down on her.

It was terrifying how one person could be anywhere but nowhere at the same time.

Artemis tapped on her shoulder, "Hey, Jake and I are thinking about going tomorrow to Richie's Diner or the new bowling place that opened last week. You're in?"

They could all use a distraction, one that was far from the school, and Zoe knew that. However, she sighed and shook her head. "I can't. I have the volunteering at the Medical Center, but I'll take a rain check for this weekend. Does it work with your practice schedule?"

"Yeah, don't worry about it. I'll make it work." Artemis replied, grabbing the stuff she needed from her locker. While the dark-haired girl was busy, Zoe's attention was stolen by one of the students in the hallway – Josie Swan. Joey and Josie were the kind of friends to rarely be seen apart as they were practically attached by the hip.

Her eyes were tired and puffy and every few minutes she burst into quiet yet chilling sobs, barely keeping herself together. Honestly, Zoe was surprised she even went to school that day, but she assumed it was probably to share one last respect to her best friend.

If something like that were to happen to Jake or Artemis, Zoe would – she really didn't want to think about it.

The redhead suddenly felt nauseous. She gave a quick look towards Artemis, telling her she needed to go to the restroom for a moment. The second she closed the stall door behind her she felt the tears escaping.

She didn't even know Joey that well, so did she even had the right to feel that upset?

She wasn't aware of how long she sat on the toilet lid, but she let out a gasp as the stall began to illuminate in crimson colors.

No, it can't be happening right now. Not here.

"Zoe, are you still in here?" Her heart skipped a beat as she heard Artemis entering the restroom, her hands still glowing in a variety of shades of red. She really started to hate that color.

When Artemis steps were getting closer to her stall, Zoe froze in her place, trying to calm herself down but her whole body felt the opposite, a power surging through her veins and then—

Please stop. Please, please just stop!

"Zoe?" The door was opened, revealing Artemis' confused look. Zoe glanced down at her hands and they looked as if nothing even happened. No red mist or glow or anything.

"I'm sorry," Zoe almost spluttered, recovering quickly and standing up on her feet, "I just needed a moment alone."

Artemis nodded in understanding, offering comfort with a gentle squeeze to the redhead's forearm. "Are you okay?"

"No, but... I will be," Zoe replied, heading out of the restroom.

And, God, she hoped that was true.

~~~

Spending four hours every week at Blue Valley medical center had turned to more of a routine than their high school's community involvement duty. And while Zoe probably wasn't saving lives like her mother, it felt good enough to help the workers at the reception or offer first aid assistance to anyone in need.