Chapter One

Zoe wanted to smash her alarm clock. She hated it-it was loud, blaring maddening noises and it was taking away her sweet slumber.

But she didn't really think she would actually do that.

She practically jumped out of her bed at the shattering sound, blue eyes wide open and dreamland quickly forgotten. Although she was sure she was still dreaming, since there was no possible way she had broken to pieces her alarm. She had sleepily reached her arm toward it, intending to just shut it off and get a few more minutes of sleep, so how in the world did it happen?

It was completely crushed, clock pieces scattered as if someone hit it with a hammer. Zoe was about to take a closer look when she noticed something on her right hand. The girl yelped, caught off guard as a red mist started to surround her fingertips.

She tried to wave her hand around, hoping to get rid of whatever it was but it didn't even budge. In fact, it just seemed to get thicker, swirling on the palm of her hand until it regained a shape of what appeared to be a glowing scarlet sphere.

She flung her hand in the air again, attempting to get it off. As opposed to before, the bubble-like mist didn't stick to her hand but was sent flying through the air toward the other side of the room.

And now there was a freaking ball-sized hole in her wall, perfectly placed where the glowing sphere had collided with it.

Panicking, she did the only logical thing to do in the situation.

"Mom!"

Whatever this thing was, it scared her. She really didn't know what was happening or what to do. Maybe she was still sleeping? Maybe it was just one of those weird dreams where absolutely nothing makes sense? She wanted to pinch herself and maybe somehow wake up, but she tried her best to keep her hands away from her, fearing the mysterious mist would come back.

There was no answer from outside the room or from downstairs.

"Mom? Dad?" She had tried again. She could literally feel her heart beating out of her chest. There was no way it was a dream.

A red hue started to surround both her hands once again and the redhead's eyes widened. She was so freaked out she even attempted to open her door with her legs, not risking the door ending up blown up.

"MOM! DAD!" She shouted, running downstairs, only hearing an indistinct echo of her own voice in return. She checked the living room and then the kitchen and noticed a small note on the refrigerator.

Headed in early for work

have a great day at school - mom

Her mom went to work and her dad was probably already at Aunt Eliza's house, two hours drive away. She was alone.

"No, no, no, no," Zoe muttered, watching as the red shone brighter and with it, another sphere had been created. "Stop, stop!" she pushed her hands away from her face, preparing for the impact. Before she knew it, a crash sound was heard and she saw their kitchen trash can was now knocked down, bent in a weird shape, all its contents spilled on the floor.

This was the worst morning ever.

There was this weird tingling feeling, almost like electricity but different. She had barely noticed it with all her panic, but then the red mist disappeared and the feeling with it.

After waiting for the mist to return, and when she finally realized (ormore like hoped) it wouldn't happen, Zoe grabbed her phone. She thought about calling her parents, but she knew they were too busy to pick up. Her next best option, googling up "Red explosive bubbles are coming out of my hands", didn't end up as very helpful either.