Chapter One - The Party

Wels peeled off his uniform. One would think that after working somewhere for a little over a year they'd figure out if they liked it or not. And he was just now starting to think being a police officer isn't what it's cracked up to be. Within a year he's witnessed some questionable things, not just from criminals but from other officers as well.

"You still thinking about our conversation from last night?" A voice from his bedroom doorway said.

He looked over his shoulder to find his twin brother leaning against the side of the entrance. He looked unamused but the inflection in his words proved otherwise.

"Yeah, and as much as I hate to admit it, you're right," Wels sighed, throwing a t-shirt on.

"What's so bad about me being right?" Hels asked, standing up straight and crossing his arms. He raised an eyebrow and smirked.

"Everything," he teased, throwing a pillow at his head. Pretending to be offended, the twin threw it back, smacking his brother in the face. "Hey, don't get too comfy, we still have that Halloween party tonight!" He added as his brother walked away, laughing.

-

Wels was never a big drinker at parties. But with all the stress built up from work - not to mention him considering quitting - he was more than willing to take a cup from the Halloween party host, Xisuma.

Not even an hour into the party, he was leaning against the wall, half-empty plastic cup in hand. Raising an eyebrow, he watched his twin brother run around with a freakishly realistic demon mask, scaring other party guests. The drunker they were, the bigger the reaction. Wels himself was fairly buzzed but was confident he could hold his alcohol. His knight costume was a little hot, but he didn't feel like taking off the helmet to reveal messy hair. As the party host made his way over him, the blonde rested his free hand on the hilt of his fake sword.

"Please, do something about your brother," Xisuma sighed, lightly banging his head against the wall.

"Like what? You know he never listens to me and will do the exact opposite out of spite," he pointed out.

"Then what am I supposed to do?" He stood up straight and glanced over his shoulder at his obnoxious brother.

"I don't know, get everyone to ignore him. He'll get bored eventually." Wels shrugged, taking a sip of his drink. He had to do a double-take, realizing his cup was almost empty. I'll get more later.

Once X had walked away - most likely to talk to his own sibling - the knight spotted someone he had never seen before.

A short, blonde male was looking around. He sported a white, fuzzy cropped sweater and a white skirt that was only a little darker. He wore black ankle boots and on his head was a headband with sheep ears on top. Wels had a sneaking suspicion he had a tail to match, and when the guy turned to watch Hels continue his escapade of terror, his suspicions were confirmed. The curly blonde's head turned to face him, and the two made eye contact, his eyes a muted violet.

Before he had a chance to decide what to do, the guy walked up to him, grinning.

"Nice costume." He leaned on the wall next to Wels, taking a sip of his drink.

"You're pretty cute yourself," the blue-eyed male smirked. He didn't know whether or not to be grateful for the alcohol fueling his confidence but went with it.

"So how do you know Xisuma?"

"Met him through high school via our siblings constantly getting into trouble together, and miraculously managed to stay in contact, even after college," he explained. "What about you?"