Chapter Nine - By Night, a Supernatural Black Market

Wels bought an early dinner from one of the food trucks and brought enough back into the woods for Bdubs and Doc. The two had decided to play it safe and stay hidden for the rest of the day.

They both thanked him as he sat down with his serving of tacos.

"There's something I didn't get a chance to explain," Doc began, sitting up. "For a curse like the one on Zedaph to be put into place, it can't be done with an enchantment alone. A cursed object must be present as well. More specifically, a Totem of Undying. They're hard to come by nowadays, but if we find out who bought one around last month, that should tell us who cursed him."

"Do you know who would've sold it?" Zed asked.

The hybrid shrugged. "I know a guy who got his hands on one or two a bit ago, so we can start with him."

-

When night fell, the four returned to the farmer's market.

Only now, the surrounding trees somehow felt denser. There were floating paper lanterns lining the paths, somehow suspended in the air with no form of rope or pole tethering them to the ground.

The stalls themselves were no longer dull tans and whites, but each a unique color with intricate designs woven in the fabrics.

"Don't stare and stick with me. Most likely no one will ask, but if someone does you two are helping me because you owe me, and it's confidential Doc's Deals business," the hybrid quietly explained as they began walking around, addressing Wels and Bdubs.

"Do you know if anyone around here can see me?" Zedaph asked, looking around.

"Possibly, but I wouldn't worry about it."

Wels' anxiety began to bubble up as they walked around. So what if they find out who cursed Zedaph? Who's to say they'll agree to lift it?

And let's say everything goes smoothly.

The curse is lifted and Zed is returned to normal.

What was Wels supposed to do then? Just forget about this whole other society he's essentially stumbled upon? A glance at any of the stalls surrounding him was more than enough evidence to show how illegal this whole market was. And there was also the fact that he was still out of a job.

At the very least, Wels had mastered a poker face, so no one around him could tell his mind was swarming with worries. Especially Zedaph. He didn't want him to know just how much he was worrying.

But then there was Bdubs.

He wasn't looking too well.

His eyes would dart around for a moment only to focus on the path ahead.

"Doc, are you sure we're safe here?" Bdubs whispered.

Doc glanced back at him for a moment. "Yes, this is an extremely safe area."

Bdubs met Wels' eyes, revealing a deep-rooted concern. "The ghosts are scared," he murmured so quietly he could hardly hear him.

Wels wanted to talk to him more, but someone caught his eye. "Beef?" He blurted out when Doc stopped in front of a dark green stall with silver trim.

"Wels?" His friend laughed in disbelief. "Seeing your brother wasn't a surprise but you? I don't believe it!"

"Wait, Beef, you know him?" Doc asked, looking between them.

Beef gestured Doc closer and whispered something. All Wels could make out was the word 'cop'.

Before the hybrid could ask him anything, he quickly butted in. "Beef, did I ever tell you that I was fired?"