Chapter 2 : Hide and Seek

It's another bright sunny day on the island and I just can't wait to hang out with Dumpling again. He's the most adorable flying thing I've ever seen, okay? The fact that Shadow discovered it first makes me kind of jealous!

"Hey Sonic! Knuckles and I are heading over to Meh Burger, you coming?" Tails offered as he wait outside of my home.

Why does he have to ask me at this hour? This time of the day is where I'm supposed to meet up with Shadow at the cave!

"Oh- uhh...I would but I can't" I chuckled while rubbing my quills. "You see, I have to...um...test my speed again today"

"Again?" He asked "I know running is your favorite pastime besides napping and thrashing Eggman's robots, but it's kinda unusual to see you test your own speed as if you're doubting your own ability"

"Yeah, Tails, I've been pretty insecure lately" I said and he just tilt his head in confusion at me.

"Well...I guess I'll catch you later" he said and I nodded before he left.

Phew, that was close. Usually Tails would know when I'm hiding something, but looks like today's my lucky day. I look around my shack to make sure that no one else is around. I sneak my way out and head quickly to the cave.

Once I made it, Shadow is already there. He is sitting down while giving Dumpling some fruit slices. He turn his head to look at me and suddenly scoffed.

"I thought you forgot about this place"

"Why would I?" I chuckled and sit near him "I would never forget about cute little Dumpling!" I pick Dumpling up and sat him on my lap while he was still enjoying the fruit slice.

"Anyway, Shadow...can I ask you something?"

"It better not be something stupid" he fold his arms.

"No, it's not" I assured "you know, you're always so mean to me and my friends...but outside of that you're actually a pretty nice guy" I chuckled "so I was thinking...what is your real reason for doing that? You always claim to be smarter than me so making me your enemy because you hate me isn't really a valid reason now, is it?"

Shadow stare at me for a while and doesn't respond to my question. I actually got a little worried if I might have hurt his feeling or something with that question. Wait, does he even have feelings? He always looks so menacing that it's kind of hard for me to believe he even have other feelings.

"Well that's one heck of a question..."

"Um...sorry" I avert my eyes away.

"I don't have any special reason for despising you and your friends" he said. My ears perked and I quickly turn my gaze to him.

"But it's also because you and Eggman always bother me with your pathetic weak little fight. It's always between you and that fool that would want to get me to join your or the other's side, it's annoying" he grunted.

"Oh man...sorry about that" I sighed "I just...you know, seeing your power definitely pulled Eggman into making you join him. I was just trying to prevent that! All of us know how strong you are, so if you really did join Eggman it'll be so much pain for us..." I explained while patting Dumpling's head.

"I will never join him, Sonic, now you can stop weighing yourself with that thought"

Hey. Wait a minute. That sounds very nice coming from him! He's indirectly telling me to stop worrying about him joining Eggman because he'll never do it! That was really really nice of him to try and comfort me!

I still stare at him in surprise before I put a huge smile on my face, which startle him a bit.

"What?"

"Thanks Shadow, I really needed to hear that"

He groaned and rolled his eyes away. I'm sure he's still a very good hedgehog despite acting that way. Well anyway, it's playtime with Dumpling!

I got on my feet and start playing around with Dumpling. Shadow only watch us while he still sat on the ground but I eventually managed to convince him to play with Dumpling, he seems to like Shadow a lot so it'll be a bummer if Shadow doesn't tag along!

"What is it, Dumpling? Do you wanna play hide and seek?" I asked.

"Chao!"

"Aww okay! Here, Shadow, you hide and I'll seek!" I grab Dumpling and ask Shadow to hold him.

"Why do I have to be the one hiding?" He questioned.

"Because it's fun" I smiled "now go, I'll count to 10!" I turn myself around and lean on the wall of the cave to cover my eyes away.

After I finished counting, I look around my surroundings to see of I could find any hints or clues of Shadow's hiding spot. Considering how good he is from avoiding me and my friends this entire time, I bet he's going to be hard to find. Well, that's okay! This should be fun!

I start to do my search and look around the cave. With this many cave walls and boulders, it might be possible that Shadow is moving from one spot to another. We didn't set up any rules so I guess that's allowed.

I keep getting deeper into the cave after a while but I still couldn't find him! At this rate I might as well give up. He's too good at hiding! I head back to our usual spot and sighed.

"Okay Shadow, you win! You can come out now" I shouted.

Where is he? Why isn't he coming out? Don't tell me he took Dumpling and left me! But as horrible as that sounds, I don't think he will take Dumpling outside of the cave. But who knows, right? This is giving me anxiety.

"Shad- mm?!"

Suddenly from behind me, there's hand wrapped around my waist and a another hand covering my mouth.

"We win"

That's Shadow's voice! He let go of me and I quickly turn around. Ugh, he's smirking triumphantly at me, it's the first time I'm so annoyed at his smile.

"Chao!" Dumpling cheered and rest himself on Shadow's head.

"God- can you not do that? I really thought someone was gonna kidnap me" I complained and hold my chest since my breathing got a little quick.

"No way, it's fun for me seeing you like this" he chuckled and I just rolled my eyes away.

"Yeah well it's MY turn to hide and YOUR turn to seek now!" I grab Dumpling and hold him close "now count to 10!"

"Okay fine" Shadow said and lean on the wall as he start counting.

After quickly trying to find a hiding spot, I found the perfect place for both Dumpling and I to hide. There's this very small gap on the cave wall just behind a boulder and it fits me prrfectly. I crawled down just in time when I heard Shadow finished counting.

I can't really see anything since the gap in this wall is a little close by the boulder, all I could do is listen to his footsteps. Dumpling and I look at each other and we smile, we're very confident with our hiding spot and we're sure we're going to win!

Well...that is until suddenly Shadow destroyed the boulder in front of us in one kick. I let out a little gasp since it was very unexpected. Shadow kneeled in front of the gap and grab both of my arms. He pulled me forcefully until he could hold me by my waist.

"I win...again" he smirked and I growled.

"How?!" I questioned as he let go of me.

"I already saw this gap when I was hiding with Dumpling, then I figured you'd hide here when it's my turn to seek"

"What?! Dumpling, you should've told me!" I complained while Dumpling laugh.

"Hmph, very unfair" I pouted and fold my arms.

"Oh don't be such a baby over a game of hide and seek, and I win fair and square" Shadow smiled.

"Grr I'll win next time for sure" I exclaimed.

We head into our usual spot. Dumpling happily rest on his nest from that intense game of hiding and he quickly take a nap after Shadow pat his head.

"By the way, I'm running out of fruits for Dumpling. We should go buy some" he said.

"Sure, let's go to the village!" I smiled.