chapter 17: deathly war

WARNINGS: Death, violence, blood, everything that deals with war

Remus bent down kissing Emily's forehead as Thalia passed her over to Molly before he bent down to Aliyah and pulled her into him squeezing the life out of her

Remus bent down kissing Emily's forehead as Thalia passed her over to Molly before he bent down to Aliyah and pulled her into him squeezing the life out of her. She hugged her dad back the weight of what was truly going on, not comprehending in her mind,

"Listen Aliyah, I love you so much, more than life it's self but I got to go for a little bit but I promise I'll be back soon," Aliyah didn't know why her dad was crying but she wiped away the tears hoping it made him feel better.

"Are you going to mommy?" Aliyah had just started calling her that, after Amelia left she was scared Thalia would leave too, she was scared that calling her mommy would mean she would leave too but she promised not to and she promised that she would be there for Aliyah's sixth birthday in a few weeks.

Thalia always kept her promises. Aliyah knew this but sometimes promises are broken, wether we can control them or not.

Aliyah hugged Thalia too, the women letting a few tears fall from the corners of her eyes, "I love you mommy."

"I love you too, my love."

They all landed right in the great hall people rushing around them and the four parents immediately started looking around for Sirius and Peter, their two friends who had left for the school immediately rather than going with them to drop off the babies.

Sirius had rushed in, his eyes red and puffy as he did, "Sirius, what's going on?" James asked pulling away from his wife.

"Nothings going our way, the horcruxes, they're all destroyed, Regulus, he destroyed them all and flipped sides but my mother, she — she killed him right in front of me," the boy looked like he had seen a ghost the memory implanting it's way in his mind and the four friends knew it would be there forever.

"Sirius, are you—" Lily went to ask but he cut her off, "we have to go."

"Where?"

The friends followed Sirius running after him as they did, towards the front of the school.

"Peters dead, his dad was trying to make him join the death eaters but he refused, he killed him, killed him because Peter refused to be a death eater."

They each looked shocked, taken aback by the new information as they kept running. Sirius had been here all alone, watching his brother and best friend die and probably many more deaths they were unaware of.

They burst through the large doors watching Albus and Voldemort in a duel, one spell clashing with another, red vs green until one won out and it turned to a bright white light no one seeing who had won.

When the light disappeared they saw Albus standing and Voldemort on his knees. His body cracked and broke turning into a flurry of darkness that flew into the air like ash, until it vanished.

Sirius slid down the wall letting his breath hitch in his throat as he covered his face with his hands. James pulled Lily into his side knowing that for the most part the war was over but he still had a lot to do working in the auror department and rounding up the remaining death eaters.

"Where's Thalia?" Remus asked suddenly looking around himself, his heart dropping like when Aliyah disappears but this time for the women he loved, the women he needed.

Lily broke away from a James looking around as well, "she was with us."

They each walked inside only to find Thalias lifeless body on the floor, they had shot spells down each hall making sure none of them would be hit but they forgot to look behind them and Thalia would be the constant reminder that they were stupid enough to think their backs were safe.

Remus screamed, a blood curdling scream that rang through the castle, he ran to her pushing the hair from her face and looking at her as if hoping it was someone else. Only her eyes were staring back at him, and the joy they once emitted were replaced with pain. He was heartbroken, empty. The love he had for Thalia had been different than anyone else and he didn't know what to do without her.

Sirius walked over and sat beside Remus, shutting the women's eyes, "just pretend she's sleeping," Sirius had said not expecting Remus to nod or fall into his chest after. He thought Remus would scream at him, tell him that was stupid but he only cried into Sirius chest holding on tighter with each sob as if he was going to get up and leave too.

James picked Thalias body up and carried her back to the great hall where loved ones could say their goodbyes. And Sirius held onto Remus as they walked behind James and Lily to the great hall.

Only when they got there two babies were held in Mollys hand as Aliyah clung onto her leg, the little girl running when she saw her mommy in James's arms thinking she was hurt. How naïve she was to be innocent for a few moments more.

Aliyah was the first to notice, the little girls screams silencing the entire hall. Everyone had been so used to her laughter and banter, that her screaming and crying had never been heard before and it broke everyone's heart as she fell next to her father and begged her mother to wake up.

Emily was only one, almost two and didn't understand all the was happening, she crawled over and tried to wake up her mother but crying and screaming as well, when she wouldn't wake up, not understanding why.

Remus picked up Emily trying to calm her and he tried to pull Aliyah off but she wouldn't let go. Remus couldn't do this alone. He struggled to take care of one baby alone, how was he supposed to take care of two.

It had been a year, a year he felt at peace after being left by Amelia and here was back in the same place as before with the same issues as before. And the thought process that love on,y ever equals pain stirring in his mind.

However there was a saying; Your first love is a fairy tale, it's that all-consuming puppy love you believe will last forever, but they grow apart and the love isn't strong enough to withstand such a thing. Your second love is the intense love, and it turns your world upside down, it teaches you, guides you but through it you feel all your insecurities, you feel all your bad thoughts and it always leads to heartbreak, but that heartbreak is what you need to really grow. And then there's the third love; the unconditional love that lasts forever, it comes out of nowhere but feels more perfect than anything else ever before.

Thalia was Remus's second love, she allowed him to learn and she loved him like it was her last love because it was but now he could grow and he would forever hold a piece of her in his heart and take care of Emily hoping she wouldn't be disappointed.

The Lupins were broken — a disaster, but they would grow, and flourish and never forget the women that made their disaster a little less crazy for the time she was there.

I hate myself for what happed to Thalia. I loved writing her and wanted to make this ending more of a happy one but this needed to happen for the rest of the story.