five.

chapter five/...

tired/...

Fayra only ever did combat training without Kirigan when she was mad at him. Either they got in a fight or she just didn't want to be around him. She'd train exclusively with the head trainer, Botkin. Fayra was in the middle circle and she was across from Botkin. Fayra took off her Kefta and placed it gently on the ground. She had the same style she had on when she was covered in blood and it was bringing back memories for her. She looked down at her sleeve and remembered seeing blood there. Killing those men didn't bug Fayra before, but now it was just hitting her that she actually killed people.

Fayra got into a fighting stance and Botkin did as well. Fayra attacked first. She threw a punches at him, but he blocked each one. Fayra tried to kick him in the ribs, but he caught her foot. "Now, you're stuck and you've given up your strength. Where do you go from here?" Fayra knew she wasn't supposed to hurt him and it was just like a mock fight, so he gave her a few extra seconds to think. Luckily, Fayra had a gift for being good under pressure. She didn't need the extra time.

Fayra jumped her other foot up and as lightly as she could, she kicked up at his head. Botkin had trained enough to know to duck, but count it as a hit. "Good. Good." Fayra got back into a fighting stance and they started circling around each other. A small group of Grisha were huddled around them, but out of the way. Fayra was always the best fighter there. She was a fighter in the orphanage and she just sort of taught herself as she grew up. Now, she has a very different style than everyone else. Grisha just try to knock people down so they have time to use their abilities before they could get back up, but Fayra's strategy was cause the most pain as soon as she could so they didn't get back up at all. More violent, but more effective.

"Try your defenses. Knife." Fayra grabbed her knife from her boot and threw it to Botkin. Fayra nodded and Botkin launched himself at her. He tried to punch her, but she blocked each blow. Botkin kicked her shin and she dropped to one knee. He then kicked Fayra in the chest and she fell onto her back. Botkin brought the knife down on her, but he was going to just stab the ground beside her, but that would signify that she's dead. Fayra crossed her arms and held his hand away from her face, but she was struggling. "Use your strength, Devany!"

That's all Grisha cared about when fighting. Strength. They tried to be strong so they had time, but Fayra was technical. Fayra did the opposite and used her mind. Fayra got her foot up and pushed him off of her, causing Botkin to fall onto his back. Fayra kicked up from her back and landed on her feet. Fayra got back down on the ground and interlocked her legs with his and if she turned her body, his legs would break.

"Break." Fayra let go of Botkin and stood up. He handed her back her knife and she put it in her boot. "Nice work, Devany." Fayra bowed her head and grabbed her Kefta. She saw Alina in the huddle of Grisha and she sent her a friendly nod and smile. Alina stepped forward to talk to her..."Fayra." But Fayra just walked away.

-*.-+-.*-

A T   D I N N E R

-*.-+-.*-

At dinner, breakfast and lunch, Fayra sat at a giant black chair that was matching with another one that Kirigan was supposed to sit in, but he was rarely there. Fayra was having a stressful day because of all the thoughts running through her mind, so she just wanted to eat and go back to her room. Fayra was leaning against the table with her hand on her forehead and she could hear Alina talking to 2 other Grisha.

"Don't get used to this. General Kirigan insists that we eat peasant fare to keep us humble."

"Yeah, well, that isn't fully true. Fayra's the only one who gets special treatment." Alina was clearly confused by that. "Why?"

"Because she's a Shadow Summoner."

"Well, I recon it's because they secretly love each other. Always talking, spending every moment together. Come on."

Alina shook her head at that. "I know Fayra, she wouldn't fall for someone like him. She'd probably like some badass, cocky jokester, just as skilled as she is."

"If you say so."

Suddenly, Ivan started talking. "News from the Fjerdan front." Ivan stood up and had a scroll that he was reading off of. "In the First Army, 18th, 27th and 36th battalions. Also among the dead, 6 Healers, 4 Inferni and 3 Heartrenders. The Fjerdans will be no match against unified Ravka."

Ivan's gaze fell on Alina. "Why are you eating figs, hm? You should be training every waking moment to tear down the Fold."

With her hand still on her forehead, Fayra spoke up. "Ivan, for the love of Saints, shut your damn mouth." Everyone, including Ivan looked at her with shock.

"You cannot speak to me that way."

"I will speak to you however I damn well please. Now all we want to do is eat and have a nice night, but we can't do that if your dying cow sounding voice is insulting Alina, who, by the way, has done nothing wrong. So shut up and behave yourself."

Ivan was trying to retaliate but he couldn't. "I-"

"Nope."

"I was-"

"Shut it."

"You-"

"Shut up. Sit down." Ivan immediately sat down. "And behave yourself." Everyone was a little scared of Fayra. First: She showed up to the Little Palace covered in blood and isn't even bugged about it. Second: She hasn't been around General Kirigan for most of the day which was a very odd sight. And third: Fayra was very snappy and tough today so nobody wanted to get on her bad side at the moment.

-*.-+-.*-

A/n

From what I know about Jesper, I feel like him and Fayra would get along pretty well, so I might do a Kaz Brekker story after this one is done with the same sort of character. Obviously, she'd have to be different, but the personality would be similar. Also, yes, I know that Kaz can't or won't touch anyone, but I can work with that.