eleven.

chapter eleven/...

monsters/...

Aleksander and Fayra walked back to where their carriage was, but once they arrived, they found that their carriage was stolen and Ivan was helping David to his feet. Once they got there, Ivan said, "They stole-'

Aleksander cut him off, too frustrated to hear him state the obvious. "We know."

"It was the thieves. I'll find a horse and I can catch up to them." Aleksander knew that Ivan couldn't do that. For starters, Alina wasn't even with the thieves, so it would be a waste of time and also he now knew that Kaz Brekker couldn't die if he owes Fayra something. "No, it's a waste of time. She's not with them. She's on her own. And our priority now is to locate her as quickly as possible."

David then slowly raised his hand and Fayra gave him a confused look as Aleksander said, "You don't need to-" Aleksander cut himself off and just let David do his thing. "Yes, David?"

"Well, Genya gave her a ring. Made of pure iridium, not native to Ravka. So when we get within one mile of her, I can direct us." Fayra and Aleksander looked at each other with a knowing expression. David was mush more useful than they thought. "Well done. Proving again the many uses of a Durast. Let's go."

The four started their journey on foot due to their lack of a carriage. They walked through town in hopes of finding someone that may have known where Alina went. As they were walking, Fayra overheard someone mention something about Alina which caught her attention. Fayra tapped Aleksander's arm and motioned her head towards the man. Aleksander gave her a nod, knowing what she was asking. Fayra walked over to the man. "Excuse me?"

He turned around to face her. "Have you seen a girl in black robes, appears a little Shu?"

"Yeah, pulled a trick with Phosphorus or something, blinded my mate." Fayra knew that he was talking about Alina. "Any idea where she went?"

"Neighbors said they saw her flee north, into the woods." Fayra nodded before walking back to Aleksander, but she stopped herself when she heard the man ask, "She's a spy, yeah?"

Fayra slowly turned around and she and Aleksander had the same slightly frustrated look on their faces. "What makes you say that?"

"First Army came through here earlier as well. Looking for her." Fayra had a striking feeling that the First Army might've been Mal. "Who exactly?"

"Some tracker. A corporal." Fayra's fists clenched tightly. Fayra walked back to Aleksander and she said quietly, "It's Mal. He's the one who tried to find the stag."

Aleksander now had a matching look of anger spread across his face. "Then we go to the woods and get to the stag."

The four began to walk towards and into the woods. Ivan and David couldn't help but feel a little awkward since Fayra and Aleksander seemed so stressed. They were silent, but anyone nearby would be able to feel the anger radiating off of them. As they got deeper into the woods, snow began to fall. It was very noticeable on the black kefta's of Aleksander and Fayra.

"She's close by." David suddenly said. Aleksander and Fayra did acknowledge it, but they just kept walking, wanting to get to Alina or the stag as soon as possible. They continued walking and they could almost feel Alina getting closer. As they kept going, they came across their target. The stag.

Ivan shot an arrow into the stag, but Mal fought back. Aleksander and Fayra shared a look and he nodded. Fayra knew what it meant. She walked forward and created a a sort of arrow out of shadows and sent it plunging into Mal's stomach. He looked up at her and saw his old friend with her hands out as she made the arrow twist in his stomach. She sent him a sly smirk as she ripped the arrow out and Alina ran to his side. Aleksander walked up beside Fayra and the two stood tall. Aleksander created a blade out of shadows and was about to send it right towards the stag, but Alina got to it first and created a light orb around her, Mal and the stag, causing the shadow to bounce off of it.

"You can't save them, Alina." Aleksander began. "You may have the power of light, but not the power to heal. I know the tracker is important to you. Give us the stag, and I'll have our Healer save him." They couldn't hear anything inside the orb of light around Alina, Mal and the Stag, but Aleksander and Fayra knew that Mal wanted her to kill it. She hesitated and thought about what was more important to her. She made the selfish decision and got rid of the orb of light and leapt towards Mal. Two of the Grisha with them pulled Mal and Alina away from each other. It hurt Mal when they did so, and Alina yelled out, "You said you wouldn't hurt him!"

Aleksander simply ignored her as he said, "Darling, would you like to do the honors?" Fayra nodded and she lifted her hands together. She created a vertical blade out of shadows and sent it cutting through the stag's head, decapitating it. Everyone looked between the two Shadow Summoners and the stag in shock.

"Bring me its antlers." Aleksander said as David walked over to the stag.

"You murderer!" Alina yelled at Fayra. Fayra simply looked Alina in the eyes with no expression. Alina could see the coldness behind her eyes. This wasn't the same Fayra she was once friends with. Of course Fayra was doing this because she loves Aleksander and she agreed with what he was doing, but she also wanted revenge. Alina and Mal drove her to madness, they made her what she is. They neglected her for so long and immediately assumed she was the bag guy when she accepted what she was. They made her a monster. But now this monster had found her place and she wasn't going to let these two stand in her way.