LIKE A GOOD HUSBAND

Stay smart. Play the role.

It was as simple, and as difficult, as that.

I knew a decision needed to be made about whether or not I trusted Noah, but that hadn't been what plagued my mind the night leading up to dawn. My thoughts were consumed by what I'd face in the cleansing room, and if given the choice to call the shots, what would I do? If not, how hard, or how little, would I fight?

Every possible choice and scenario played out in my head so vividly, now that the moment was minutes away, it somehow felt less scary. Mostly because I had accepted the inevitable. I allowed myself to believe that I'd be given some semblance of control over the matter, and Noah had delivered just as I hoped he would.

His predictability was what sold me; what postulated his trustworthiness. That consistent benevolence every time the opportunity presented itself was what remained etched into my mind. Noah's crooked smile matched his crooked halo and regardless of what truths he spoke or what tales he wove, it was his actions that were undeniable. Though sinfully damaged, and most often misguided, he always tried to do right by me. Which was precisely what made me realize Noah wasn't simply a wolf in sheep's clothing. To possess such mercy went against the very nature of wolves. Noah was simply alone in this mess, just like me. Trying to forge his way out of the darkness all the while dimming his inner light as to not draw the attention of the real monsters around him. His face was proof of what occurred when the light within him gleamed too brightly off their snarling, bared teeth. They snapped.

Stay smart. Play the role.

It was so similar to what I had begged Camilla to do, I felt struck by it and I realized it was time for me to take my own advice.

"How far do we actually have to take things in front of everyone?" I asked.

Noah rubbed a hand on the back of his neck. "I'm not sure. Papa believes that if a wife hasn't fully submitted sexually by the third month, she's no wife."

Though I was made violently disgusted, I wasn't surprised by the warped thought process.

"What happens?"

Noah sighed and his brows narrowed slightly. "Grace, there are some things you just don't want to know."

"We aren't doing this again," I quietly snapped. "You need to let me know what I'm up against here, Noah."

"You won't be up against anything. I promise you're—"

"Fine, then the others. What will happen to them if he decides they're 'no wife'? Harsher punishments? Different training? Death? What?"

Noah's jaw clenched. "All of those are a possibility."

His confirmation felt like it knocked the wind out of me. "Alright then," I said a little breathless, "See, that wasn't so hard was it?"

His face relaxed and a ghost of a smile brushed across his lips before disappearing. With sad eyes, Noah whispered, "I need to know what you want me to do today, Grace."

My life is worth more than my honor, I thought to myself. "We'll go as far as we need to if it means we make it out of here."

Noah's eyes turned to glass and he gave a curt nod. "Okay, but I want a safe word or something if you change your mind. We'll deal with whatever consequences may follow after and I—"

"No," I said with a shake of my head.

"Grace," he sighed. His tone made him sound ill and desperate for me to reconsider.