EVERY FIBER OF MY BEING

I laid still, my fingers trailing patterns on the bed as I mulled over Camilla's retelling of Noah's midnight visit.

Any doubt of his character and good intentions should be squashed, but for some reason she was still apprehensive. I just couldn't understand why. He didn't have to warn her of what Caleb was planning. He didn't have to tell her the consequences of resisting. That in itself should clear his name and make her see he wasn't like them.

He was different.

Better.

He didn't belong here just as much as we didn't.

Noah's smiling face appeared from behind the metal door, pulling me from my thoughts.

"Good morning, beautiful wife."

I returned his smile with one of my own as I rose from the bed to greet him in the doorway.

"Good morning, handsome husband."

His smile grew wider and as he leaned against the frame, I felt heat rise to my cheeks. I enjoyed seeing him happy and after helping Camilla, I couldn't help but feel extra grateful for him.

"I'd like to take you outside this morning. Jonah will be taking Ava as well."

As he spoke, it was then I realized the air of unease around him.

"And Camilla?"

His face hardened, but his voice remained calm and even tempered.

"She'll be staying inside."

I slowly nodded and he could tell that I was aware of his brother's intentions. I glanced away and took a deep breath. That disgusting piece of shit certainly wasn't wasting any time.

Noah held out a plate of scrambled eggs with a fresh biscuit and sliced fruit, but as I reached for it he pulled it back. I looked up at him and his eyes were now glaring hard at me.

"Behave, wife," he warned softly. He reached up with his thumb and smoothed the line of disgust that had creased between my brows. His voice dropped low and he took a step toward me, the fabric of his hoodie brushing against my arm as he leaned down to whisper into my ear. "Say nothing. Do nothing. Understand?"

I nodded, doing my best to soften the sharpness of my tongue that needled behind my lips, begging to lash out at Caleb. Noah extended the plate to me and this time, I took it in both hands.

He pressed a kiss to the side of my head. "Good girl," he murmured into my hair before pulling away.

Warmth engulfed me for a brief moment, but it was quickly extinguished when Caleb entered the hallway. His eyes held such intensity a dark shiver ran through me. Jonah and Ava stepped out of their room just as he had passed by and we were all quickly ushered away.

A plaid blanket was dropped over my shoulders as soon as we stepped outside. When a chill nipped at my exposed legs, I realized how late into autumn we were. The trees were in full color and more leaves were falling each day.

I was guided over to a makeshift table and I placed my food down as I sat upon two plastic crates stacked on top of one another. Looking around at the foliage, my thoughts ran in circles around the atrocities I knew were happening less than 20 feet away.