LIKE EASY PREY

Noah lead me up the wooden steps and before we could reach the top, the door opened and Hannah stepped out with tears in her eyes.

"Oh, Grace," she mumbled over a quivering lower lip. "It's so good to finally have you right where you belong."

She gave me a watery smile and pulled me into a warm, welcoming hug that took me by surprise. Her knitted cardigan smelled of sweet bread and cinnamon, and a light dusting of flour on her skirt made it apparent we interrupted her baking.

"Come in, you two. It's mighty cold out there. Papa's gone with Caleb to fetch more wood for me, so supper will be on time and the house will be toasty warm all night long."

My heart clenched in my chest at the mention of his name, but I swallowed the lump that formed in my throat as Hannah ushered us inside. I couldn't freak out before I'd even entered the house; they'd never accept me, and if I'm not accepted, I'd never get Ava out of here.

The aroma of all the delicious foods wafting from the kitchen was enough to make my mouth water. I hadn't smelled something that remarkable in so long, my stomach cramped from the hunger it enticed.

"It smells wonderful in here," I smiled.

"Oh thank you, dear. A honey baked ham just came out of the oven and desert just went in. It's Noah's favorite: homemade triple berry pie. I sure hope you're hungry."

Everything about her looked kind and welcoming, I could see why the men had placed her on such a high pedestal. She was certainly a woman with virtues to replicate.

Noah shrugged out of his coat and then helped me out of mine as I looked around. Different animal heads mounted on the walls made a prickling sensation crawl up my spine. I couldn't help but to feel as if all their eyes were on me. I cleared my throat and tried to smile despite how the room left me unsettled.

"I am," I nodded, "but with how delicious your cooking smells, I'm sure I'd eat even if I weren't."

"Child!" A disgusted click of Hannah's tongue made my eyes snap away from an 8 point buck, and glue to her. "Gluttony is the fifth deadly sin, Grace. Perhaps half a helping of supper would be a good reminder to keep yourself closer to God."

She gave Noah a glare and he gave a curt nod of his head.

I cleared my throat and shook my head apologetically. "I-I'm sorry, I hadn't meant t-to sound gluttonous. I was merely—"

"Grace," Noah snapped in a deep, warning tone. He shook his head, silently telling me to stop my useless apology.

My mouth fell into a deep frown and their utter disappointment was overwhelming. I dropped my eyes to the ground and stared at the snow melting off my boots. My stupid brain couldn't even compliment people correctly anymore.

Hannah stepped closer to me and grasped me by the chin, forcing my eyes up to meet her's. "It's because you're too skinny. It'll be tough not to want to eat all the delicious things I make."

"Not to sound too proud, or anything Mama," Noah teased with a smirk.

I had to pinch my own thigh to keep from smiling in the woman's face.

Hannah's left eye twitched before she released my chin and moved to stand directly in front of her son. With her hands on her hips, her smaller stature somehow added to her formidable appearance. I braced for the backlash, but a smile lit up her previously dower expression.

She reached out and patted the side of Noah's face. "Always my cheeky boy," she gently chided with a wink.

He grinned sheepishly at her as she turned away and headed down the hall.